Test Card's on a LOOP?

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
G3GJA

Re: Test Card's on a LOOP?

Post by G3GJA » Sun Jun 09, 2024 4:58 pm

Hi Mark

You should have only one IP address for the Porstdowm, not two.

If you have enabled the Pi's WiFi then disable it. Use the raspi-config tool from the console. (sudo raspi-config)

Cheers

Clive

G1INU

Post by G1INU » Sun Jun 09, 2024 6:23 pm

Hi Clive,

I was wondering about that, I have disabled the wifi so it's only showing the 1 IP and I have that same IP as the target in FSC, but still only get a blank/grey screen on on the PD4 when I am in IPTS Monitor.

I have read a lot (much of which went over my head) regarding compatibility issues with video cards in laptops. I have FSC running on an i5 10th Gen laptop so I am wondering if its that causing an issue?

Mark - G1INU
Regards
Mark - G1INU

g6hfs

Post by g6hfs » Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:53 pm

Hi,

I had a problem with setting to Intel encoder, software worked for me.

Brian

G1INU

Post by G1INU » Sun Jun 09, 2024 8:55 pm

g6hfs wrote:
Sun Jun 09, 2024 7:53 pm
Hi,

I had a problem with setting to Intel encoder, software worked for me.

Brian
Thanks Brian,

I was prepared to tray anything at this stage :lol: but sadly it still doest work.

Regards
Mrk - G1INU
Regards
Mark - G1INU

G1INU

Post by G1INU » Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:20 am

Hi again,

Well after rebuilding a new Portsdown image, trying different ethernet cables, swapping out a completely different computer and reinstalling OBS and FreeStreamCoder on the original computer I have given up.

There is just no way I can get IPTS Monitor to show anything other than a blank screen.

I guess I will just chalk it down to one of those buggy things that you get with a certain mix of hardware and software.

Thanks to those who offered help in the thread.
Regards
Mark - G1INU

ON1AVO

Post by ON1AVO » Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:39 pm

Mark,

You could try to verify OBS streaming locally to VLC on your PC, if not done already.
As already mentioned before only Soft and NVIDEA are working.

73 de ON1AVO
Freddy
Attachments
FSC & VLC
FSC & VLC
Freestreamcoder & VLC (Klein).png (256.78 KiB) Viewed 574 times

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:14 pm

G1INU wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:20 am
Hi again,

Well after rebuilding a new Portsdown image, trying different ethernet cables, swapping out a completely different computer and reinstalling OBS and FreeStreamCoder on the original computer I have given up.

There is just no way I can get IPTS Monitor to show anything other than a blank screen.

I guess I will just chalk it down to one of those buggy things that you get with a certain mix of hardware and software.

I don't really understand what you are trying to do, or why, but if you just want to loop test cards then OBS can do that natively. (Then again, so can the Portsdown). Just ask OBS to display a folder of images and cycle through them. Then set up OBS to stream to the Portsdown as you would normally, as described on the wiki) and that's it. I would not worry about the IPTS monitor. It is what comes out of the TX that matters. IPTS monitor won't work for all encoders, I doubt H265 would display at all, it can't be sent over RTMP, only UDP, but H264 should. Make sure you have some sound content, otherwise it may give problems.

The computer needs to be a decent one, with a recent CPU that can encode H264 in hardware. Most can but a Pentium4 from 2000 might struggle. I am assuming you have something fairly recent.

Mike

G1INU

Post by G1INU » Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:34 pm

g0mjw wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:14 pm
G1INU wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 10:20 am
Hi again,

I don't really understand what you are trying to do, or why, but if you just want to loop test cards then OBS can do that natively. (Then again, so can the Portsdown). Just ask OBS to display a folder of images and cycle through them. Then set up OBS to stream to the Portsdown as you would normally, as described on the wiki) and that's it. I would not worry about the IPTS monitor. It is what comes out of the TX that matters. IPTS monitor won't work for all encoders, I doubt H265 would display at all, it can't be sent over RTMP, only UDP, but H264 should. Make sure you have some sound content, otherwise it may give problems.

The computer needs to be a decent one, with a recent CPU that can encode H264 in hardware. Most can but a Pentium4 from 2000 might struggle. I am assuming you have something fairly recent.

Mike
Hi Mike,

As I mentioned in the first post, my initial question was how do people display several testcards one after the other and that's when I was introduced to OSB. A quick setup of OSB allowed me to do what I wanted simply using OSB and leaving Portsdown out of the loop, but that isn't really the point.

Obviously Portsdown should allow me to select the image or images coming from OSB as a stream via FreeStreamCoder and send it to say BATC as a stream, or then select say the C920 and stream that?

As it stands I can select M2/C920 Monitor and view the webcam on my monitor for testing before streaming. I should be able to select M2/IPTS Monitor and view the stream coming in from OBS/FreeStreamCoder but I can't. All I get is the grey screen on the pi touch screen.

The computer running the OBS/FreeStreamCoder is an intel i5 10th Generation laptop.
Regards
Mark - G1INU

G1INU

Post by G1INU » Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:41 pm

ON1AVO wrote:
Tue Jun 11, 2024 2:39 pm
Mark,

You could try to verify OBS streaming locally to VLC on your PC, if not done already.
As already mentioned before only Soft and NVIDEA are working.

73 de ON1AVO
Freddy
Hi Freddy,
I had not checked with VLC but I have just done so and it is displaying it fine in VLC.
Regards
Mark - G1INU

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Tue Jun 11, 2024 3:42 pm

Hi Mark

I wonder if the image you are sending is incompatible with IPTS. The first test to do is a local loopback and see if you can monitor it with VLC. There are all sorts of reasons it might not work with IPTS input but first it is good to test if it is working locally.

Incidentally, why are you using the Portsdown IPTS? I take it you don't have a Pluto but a Lime SDR?

Mike

Return to “General ATV Discussion”