Test Card's on a LOOP?

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
G1INU

Test Card's on a LOOP?

Post by G1INU » Wed Jun 05, 2024 7:49 pm

Hi Guy's,

When I look at some of the Streams on BATC website they appear to be showing several different Test Cards on a timed loop. How is that done, can someone point me in the direction of a help file or maybe a thread in this forum please?

Thanks.
Regards
Mark - G1INU

g6hfs

Re: Test Card's on a LOOP?

Post by g6hfs » Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:05 am

You can use OBS and stream to the BATC or use a media player with Portsdown 4 and again stream.

Brian

G3GJA

Post by G3GJA » Thu Jun 06, 2024 6:54 pm

There are solutions for PAL analogue outputs and HDMI digital outputs that don't need a PC.

For HDMI output in GB3EY I use this software https://www.binaryemotions.com/digital- ... slideshow/ running on a Raspberry Pi 4. The download is a complete image for the Pi, so no need to build an OS. The software plays out videos (MPEG) and images (JPEG) stored on the Pi and it can download images from an Internet address too. It can also play audio from an MP3 file simultaneously. Make a small donation to get the 'full fat' version. One 'gotcha' of note is that the file names must not have any spaces in them!

If you want an inexpensive PAL output solution then this https://wiki.batc.org.uk/BATC_Video_Source fits the bill. Although as designed it doesn't automatically sequence the testcards, it only deeds a 555 in astable mode to toggle the GPIO pin on the Raspberry Pi Zero. Use the CMOS 555 at 3.3v to match the GPIO on the Pi.

Clive G3GJA

G1INU

Post by G1INU » Fri Jun 07, 2024 5:46 am

g6hfs wrote:
Thu Jun 06, 2024 10:05 am
You can use OBS and stream to the BATC or use a media player with Portsdown 4 and again stream.

Brian
Thanks Brian,

I had a look at OBS and fell at the first hurdle :roll:

The setup wizard wants the stream details which I assume are those I can get from my account details on the BATC website. Do I enter it just as it appears on the website

Stream RTMP Input URL
rtmp://rtmp.batc.org.uk/live/streamname-

Or do I substitute / append streamname- so it appears as

rtmp://rtmp.batc.org.uk/live/streamname-g1inu or maybe Stream RTMP Input URL rtmp://rtmp.batc.org.uk/live/g1inu

I could just try all 3 but don’t know enough about the stream server to know if I can cock it up by entering the incorrect field data.

Regards
Mark
Regards
Mark - G1INU

G3GJA

Post by G3GJA » Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:11 am

Hi Mark

OBS use is covered comprehensively on the Wiki; look here: https://wiki.batc.org.uk/OBS_-_Open_Bro ... figuration

Clive G3GJA

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Fri Jun 07, 2024 9:44 am

Hi Mark

Some of the streamed repeaters use the BATC Digital Repeater Controller https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Repeater_Controller which includes the facility for a rotating carousel of test cards or images when the inputs are inactive.

You could also modify the software in the BATC Video Source to advance the cards after a preset time interval.

Dave, G8GKQ

g6hfs

Post by g6hfs » Fri Jun 07, 2024 12:02 pm

rtmp://rtmp.batc.org.uk/live/

Callsing-apassword

Brian

G1INU

Post by G1INU » Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:11 pm

G3GJA wrote:
Fri Jun 07, 2024 8:11 am
Hi Mark

OBS use is covered comprehensively on the Wiki; look here: https://wiki.batc.org.uk/OBS_-_Open_Bro ... figuration

Clive G3GJA
Thanks for that Clive, I have worked my way through it step by step and tried OBS with a single image, ran FreeStreamCoder with IPTS monitor selected on the Portsdown 4.

The virtual LED alongside IPTV output in FreeStreamCoder changes from Red to Green and I get 495kb/s showing in the box under IPTV Output (Matching target bit rate) However the Portsdown screen stays blank.

The one thing from the link you sent me that isn't made clear is where it tells me to select DVB-S2 in FreeStreamCoder. There is no option for just DVB-S2 the options are DVB-S2 QPSK, DVB-S2 8 PSK, DVB-S2 16 APSK and DVB-S2 32 APSK. I have tried all 4 but still nothing at the Portsdown 4.

I wonder if you have any suggestions please?

Regards
Mark
G1INU
Regards
Mark - G1INU

G3GJA

Post by G3GJA » Sun Jun 09, 2024 12:11 pm

Hi Mark

When testing the FreeStreamCoder, using the IPTS monitor function of the Portsdown, all of the DVB-S options will work, as will the DVB-T ones. The PD4 doesn't care as there is no modulation applied at this point.

If you can't get that part to work, check that the the IP address and port number of the PD4 matches the entries in the configuration tab of the FreeStreamcoder.

Use the M2 button and then Info to get the PD4's IP address.

When you have the IP address, try pinging it from your computer (cmd.exe then ping 192.168.xxx.xxx where xxx.xxx are copied from the PD4). You should get four replies if your network is set up correctly like this:

ping.jpg
ping.jpg (48.85 KiB) Viewed 923 times

Clive

G1INU

Post by G1INU » Sun Jun 09, 2024 3:02 pm

Regards
Mark - G1INU

Return to “General ATV Discussion”