Mouse Emulator using Arduino

Forum for discussion about the Langstone Microwave Transceiver that shares some features with the Portsdown. Wiki: https://wiki.microwavers.org.uk/Langstone_Project
g4eml

Re: Mouse Emulator using Arduino

Post by g4eml » Sat Jan 15, 2022 5:21 pm

Hello Russ,

That sounds like only one of the phase outputs is working. I think the Arduino library still registers counts even if only one phase changes.

It may be the voltage is a bit too low. Although the spec for the encoder says 5-24V, internally it feeds into a 78M05 regulator. So really the lowest input voltage should be more like 8V to get a regulated 5V for the encoder. A low voltage could be causing one of the phases to not see the movement of the encoder disk.

Of course it might also be something simple like a shorted pin or faulty Arduino.

If you can measure the voltages on the two phase signals you should be able to see them changing between 0 and 5V.

Colin.

g4saq

Post by g4saq » Sat Jan 15, 2022 9:36 pm

Thanks for the suggestions, Colin. I will try them out tomorrow and let you know.
73, Russ

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Sat Jan 15, 2022 10:02 pm

As mentioned in the instructions bypassing the internal regulator may be necessary if you are running the encoder from 5V.

Colin.

g4saq

Post by g4saq » Sun Jan 16, 2022 12:56 pm

Of course, you are quite correct. I looked again at my PIC project (now 3 yrs old) and I had the encoder fed by 9v. Silly of me! Thanks anyway.
73, Russ.
PS I should say thanks to you for the Langstone - a great project.

Return to “The Langstone Microwave Transceiver”