Ethernet-based Minitiouner ?

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
dh2va

Ethernet-based Minitiouner ?

Post by dh2va » Wed Sep 30, 2020 12:25 pm

A question to the DATV user base as I failed to find the answer on my own with the usual tools: Is there any hardware out there which works similar to the Minitiouner-Minitioune combo but not via USB but Ethernet? I was about to use USB-Ethernet extenders but found out that they use the RJ45 physical layer but can wreak havoc with the rest of your home LAN when not used on a dedicated RJ45 cable.

One can use a Pluto for transmit with OBS studio and the F5OEO firmware and an ethernet conenction, but does a similar receive path exist?

73s Achim

g0mjw

Re: Ethernet-based Minitiouner ?

Post by g0mjw » Wed Sep 30, 2020 1:54 pm

If you use a PI then yes. Currently the Portsdown/Ryde should be able to do this with some tweaks.

Mike

dh2va

Post by dh2va » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:22 pm

Hello Mike,
I was guessing it was going into the Ryde direction. I hoped to have something a little bit more into the direction of a Minitiouner with an Ethernet interface instead of the USB module. If possible at all, this would require some software changes from Jean Pierre so this is completely his decision if something like this is worth pursueing. But I'll have a closer look on the Ryde.

73s Achim

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:32 pm

The obvious solution is to separate the control and display tasks somehow so you just need to send the transport stream and metadata rather than any critical timing. I think Minitioune tries to go as fast as it can, to give the best user experience, which might be why you had problems on the local network as it is expecting the USB bandwidth.

Mike

g8gtz

Post by g8gtz » Wed Sep 30, 2020 3:45 pm

Hi Achim,

The Ryde approach looks more practical given Tim's latest comment!

viewtopic.php?t=6918&p=24666#p24666

Network control and HDMI output back over ethernet (physical layer but not network) :-)

Noel

MW0RUD

Post by MW0RUD » Wed Sep 30, 2020 4:41 pm

Network control is on the future features list although its going to be a while until I even look at that list. Once that works you could use an LKV373A for its intended purpose and get the HDMI over the network too. Unfortunately you can't use the onboard encoder in the Pi to encode its own video output apparently otherwise it could be made super slick.

Tim

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”