What can I transmit?

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
2i0jmt

What can I transmit?

Post by 2i0jmt » Tue Apr 16, 2019 2:53 pm

Hi Folks,

As a UK Intermediate License holding, what content am I allowed to transmit using DATV? Is it literally just the same rules as said audio (e.g. literally speaking to one other person, or within a net), or am I allowed to send something that's not me talking, e.g. test signals, picture of scenery, etc?

How do these rules differ between simple, DATV repeaters, and DATV satellites? For example, i see that some conferences and events are being uploaded to repeaters.

I don't intent to start a TV station, but ideally it would be nice to experiment with something that isn't literally just me talking.

Thanks

Jonny 2I0JMT

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: What can I transmit?

Post by G8GKQ » Tue Apr 16, 2019 9:25 pm

Hi Jonny

The rules are basically the same as for voice. You can send test transmissions (using any respectable picture or moving image as a test card), or you can transmit images to another station or a net.

Within normal decency and copyright, there is no limit on what images you can transmit, although clearly the station you are transmitting them to might get bored....

UK amateur transmissions of conferences and events would normally be transmitted to another amateur and incidentally viewed by a larger audience; the normal rules on not broadcasting apply. Special permission has been granted by OFCOM for the GB2RS news broadcasts, and we might consider applying for similar exemptions for televised technical conferences with a large potential audience. The rules for repeater and satellite transmissions are just the same, although you may see transmissions on the satellite from other countries operating under different rules.

Please note that this is only my interpretation of the licence, and I am prepared to be corrected.

Dave, G8GKQ

2i0jmt

Post by 2i0jmt » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:30 pm

Hi Dave

Thanks for the reply. It is very helpful!

So essentially, the recent coverage on Es'hail 2 of some of the UK technical conferences, has simply been a transmission to another amateur (and only incidentally picked up by others) ?

Also, if I were to put out a test card, does this have to be aimed at another licensee also? Or is a general (not to anyone in particular) test card ok?

I'm also curious to learn about how some repeaters have like videos of the street etc :)

Sorry for asking so many questions. I'm just really keen to start playing with DATV, but don't want to do anything wrong.

Thanks

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Wed Apr 17, 2019 6:53 pm

Hi Jonny

You can put out a test transmission "for testing" or as a CQ. You do not need to be in contact with another amateur for that. However, the moment you start putting content on it, you would need to be in contact.

Repeater street views are essentially moving test cards....

My view is that the important thing is getting on the air. Once you can transmit pictures, there are few restrictions other than those that already apply for voice or CW operation.

Dave, G8GKQ

2i0jmt

Post by 2i0jmt » Wed Apr 17, 2019 8:48 pm

Thanks Dave

Essentially, I would like to transmit some moving images of beautiful scenery of my region, with perhaps some music from a piano that I've played myself, as a test transmission to experiment with getting on the air. Something like Pachelbel's Canon, or even cooler, some tune to the rhythm of some CW.

I would have a caption on the screen that says something like "Please send signal reports to <my email>"

Does that sounds reasonable to you from an Amateur license perspective? Would something like that have to have "CQ" in the caption also? (Of course, I would ensure that I am not breaking copyright law)

Thanks

Jonny

Return to “General ATV Discussion”