Easiest way to see if my QTH is suitable for UHF?

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
G1LWX

Re: Easiest way to see if my QTH is suitable for UHF?

Post by G1LWX » Fri Sep 13, 2013 6:39 pm

Hi there

Its Mike G1LWX friend of Tony who also uses the repeater GB3UD I'm located in Ashton in Makerfield.

Yes you need a digital satellite receiver make sure you get a satellite one Ebay being about the best source.
I use a Silvercrest SL25 but other types are ok.

No you won't need a dish, the Lnb on the dish converts the microwave signal to a lower frequency that the receiver tunes.
The receiver will tune the 23cms band without modification the only thing you must do is remove the supply that is fed to
the f socket to power the Lnb . Some receivers it can be switched off others you have to remove it by cutting track or isolating
the supply. This is because if you are using a Yagi with a folded dipole it would present a short.

As for transmitters look here on members items for sale or Ebay again, or you could build a digital one the parts are available on the BATC shop.

Mike G1LWX

Basil

Post by Basil » Fri Sep 13, 2013 7:10 pm

OK, thanks Mike, I see how this works now, I'll get a receiver and the antenna sorted first, and have a good read up on all this. How relevant is stuff on US sites, I believe some of them use a similar system to the UK? Any suggested reading material, on line or on paper is welcome. I may be asking if I am looking at the correct thing before bidding though :) I'll also have to tidy the shack, this may be a good incentive, with audio only the only clue to its state is if someone hears a crash when I trip over something!

M0ATV

Post by M0ATV » Sat Sep 14, 2013 2:11 pm

Hi Basil, Ive sent you a private message via here with some current links in Ebay to some good digital RX units for watching UD, but be quick if you decide to grab one, they go very quick, Tony

Basil

Post by Basil » Sat Sep 14, 2013 11:28 pm

M0ATV: Thanks for the links, I'll probably get the aerial up first, and then get the receiver sorted, I sometimes have a tendency to do things *rse about face :) At least the reception side doesn't look like costing an arm and a leg. I must also find my replacement M-Audio cable, having an iffy left channel audio output isn't good ! Thanks again. I was living in Gatley for most of my life, before coming to Shropshire, so know the area very well.

G0DJA

Post by G0DJA » Tue Nov 26, 2013 1:46 pm

There's an online system that will plot what is 'line of sight' from your location at http://www.heywhatsthat.com/

However, don't be too put off if there are hills around as RF will go further, even under 'normal' conditions and when conditions are "up" you will hear and see signals from a lot further away.

Dave (G0DJA)

Return to “General ATV Discussion”