Back to Basics with Pluto

Click here to learn more about Amateur TV and the BATC
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
EA7KIR

Back to Basics with Pluto

Post by EA7KIR » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:46 pm

I've spent the last few days installing and configuring a Pluto using various firmwares. I first write a markdown document on what I intend to do, then install and switch between USB and Ethernet hookups to note the effect.

My prime objective is to install the appropriate version of Analog Devices firmware, execute the required configuration commands, and finally install the BATC hosted version of F5OEO's "Only For The Brave" (as used by Portsdown) and finish up with a stable outcome.

I've noticed the F5EOE 'install' will always downgrade the Analog Devices firmware to a 'dirty v0.31', no matter which version was there before. But it doesn't overwrite everything entirely. For example, starting with Analog Device v0.31 - which seems to be the obvious choice - prevents one from executing 'device_format_jffs2' and `device_persistent_keys'. I haven't found documentation for this - presumably why it could be called "Only For The Brave".

Being a perfectionist and complete novice at the same time has been difficult for me, and may have produced inaccurate outcomes, so I seek advice from those with experience.

What would did you start with - v0.31, v0.32, v0.33 or v0.34, and have you upgraded since?
Michael EA7KIR

Basil

Re: Back to Basics with Pluto

Post by Basil » Tue Jul 05, 2022 12:37 am

I believe you are overthinking this :)

Pick an original AD firmware version and load it, let's say v0.34, the latest. Enable both CPUs, widen the frequency coverage. Unless you are using a rev C or D Pluto and using an external reference, that's that done. Eject the Pluto.

Load the F5EOE firmware. Eject it.

That's it!

The new firmware needed a name, he must have chosen one with v0.31 in it, it doesn't mean it has "downgraded" the AD firmware you initially loaded, it just means it's overwritten it, and the new version has a different name.

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Tue Jul 05, 2022 6:44 am

Evariste's firmware was based on a specific AD firmware that worked fine with the Pluto Revision B. If the existing firmware works well then stick with it. Additionally, why is it assumed later AD firmware is better?

An earlier version of firmware is not always a downgrade. There are many reasons for updating firmware, fixing bugs, adding new features, security patches, revised CPU steppings and supporting hardware changes. These might be relevant if it is not working, but if it is working, then they are not needed. In short, if it is not broken, then don't fix it.

I am happily using version 303. The hardware isn't going to change. AD are not going to develop their own DVB firmware. It is not exposed to the internet. It has some idiosyncrasies, but unless Evariste or someone else comes up with a better solution, then I will stick with it.

Mike

EA7KIR

Post by EA7KIR » Thu Jul 07, 2022 10:50 am

In desperation, I've bought a laptop with Windows 10 - and Installed:

* Putty
* PlutoSDR-Mk2-USB-Drivers - v0.9
* libiio-0.23.gc1414aof8-Windows-setup.exe

When I run

Code: Select all

run iio_info -s
from the command line, I get error popups:

iio_info.exe - System Error
The code execution cannot proceed because
VCRUNTIME140.dll was not found. Reinstalling the program
may fix this problem. [OK}
and then:

iii_infor.exe - System Error
The code execution cannot proceed because MSVCR120.dll
was not found. Reisnalling the program may fix the problem. [OK]
After repeated reinstalls, I get the same result. I haven't used Windows since 2008, so what next?
Michael EA7KIR

Basil

Post by Basil » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:15 am

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... fc85bac575

The links above may not lead you to the latest version but I am sure a quick Google will link you to whatever the current version of Visual C++ is. Good luck.

EA7KIR

Post by EA7KIR » Thu Jul 07, 2022 11:52 am

Install an entire development IDE just to connect a Pluto. Are you serious?

If I run the same command from something called PowerShell, I don't get the error. But there's no output.
Michael EA7KIR

Basil

Post by Basil » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:01 pm

Not the software for writing the stuff, this is what I have on my Win 10 PC
progs.jpg
progs.jpg (257.17 KiB) Viewed 8336 times

EA7KIR

Post by EA7KIR » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:27 pm

Playing around with Windows, I'm beginning to think that I'm not going to achieve anything haven't been able to do on the Mac command line.

I think the problem is my misunderstanding of what needs to installed on the Pluto - and what order. For example:

* copy v0.34 zip to mass storage device. ie plug the pluto into the Mac with a USB cable and drag the zip on to it.

It's what happen next I need to know.

* Do I install F5EOE from BATC or Evariste's GitHub? - I will NOT be using Portsdown.

* Do I even need F5EOE id I intend to patch with F5UII 303?

* Do I use the same drag and drop install method, or must it be in DFU mode?

During my early attempts last year, I was able to change password and have it persist. But I've not been able to achieve this since. That, and only having illuminated the satellite with a very low signal, has led me to assume that I'm messing up the installation process. This is where I think I need the most help at the moment.
Michael EA7KIR

Basil

Post by Basil » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:41 pm

"* copy v0.34 zip to mass storage device. ie plug the pluto into the Mac with a USB cable and drag the zip on to it."

That's wrong for a start, you need to copy just the pluto.frm from within the zip to the root of the Pluto file system whilst connected via USB

Then EJECT the Pluto in software, not physically unplug it. The new firmware will then start to be written to the Pluto. When the LED stops flashing rapidly it's done.

Maybe someone who is very familiar with all this and familiar with a MAC would be willing to do the install remotely for you?

But why don't you get it all running on the OS it was really designed to run on first, to prove there are no other issues?

EA7KIR

Post by EA7KIR » Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:50 pm

Basil wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:41 pm
But why don't you get it all running on the OS it was really designed to run on first, to prove there are no other issues?
Because AD claim it can be used on Window, Linux and macOS.
Last edited by EA7KIR on Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
Michael EA7KIR

Return to “Getting Started?”