Ian G3KKD

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
arthur21

Ian G3KKD

Post by arthur21 » Tue Jan 12, 2021 4:41 pm

It is with great sadness I have to report the passing of my friend Ian G3KKD.
Ian's passing will be a great loss to the amateur radio community.
An obituary will be posted in CQ-TV

Arthur G4CPE

g8gtz

Re: Ian G3KKD

Post by g8gtz » Tue Jan 12, 2021 5:02 pm

Very sad news - Ian was a long time member of BATC and will be missed.

He tells his own story in this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VBbF3Bl ... e=emb_logo

Noel

g4hjw

Post by g4hjw » Wed Jan 13, 2021 9:53 am

Ian was a good friend and near neighbour. I had known him for only a decade, which will be much less than many of his BATC friends here. We used to meet at our Thursday lunch sessions, initially in Milton but latterly in Cambridge. A more unassuming man you would not find, yet his wealth of knowledge, once you prised it out of him, was something to witness. Like Arthur, I will very much miss Ian, His was a life to celebrate and remember fondly.

Bernie, G4HJW

HelenWaters1972

Post by HelenWaters1972 » Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:45 am

Bernie, Arthur and Noel

Thank you for the kind words about Dad and for the link to the YouTube video. I have not yet been able to watch it, but his Grand Children have and there has been much discussion of it this week. I hope to use some of the colour for it in Dads eulogy and if you have any other remembrances of Dad I would be pleased to know. I hope that in due course (post COVID) we will all be able to meet up and remember Dad in happier circumstances.

Sadly Dad is now 25, but as he would sign himself sometimes

73 Helen Waters

g8gtz

Post by g8gtz » Sat Jan 16, 2021 4:35 pm

Helen,

Nice to hear from you.

I've just found another video of your Dad on the BATC Youtube channel made in 1970 which was an early videotape where he described his station for the BATC CAT70 event.

https://youtu.be/knk6PplMX4s

Also in the BATC magazine from May 1968 there is a letter on page 3 from Ian describing his adventures in ATV.

https://batc.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/cq-tv062.pdf

Noel - G8GTZ

HelenWaters1972

Post by HelenWaters1972 » Mon Jan 25, 2021 12:09 pm

Thanks Noel

g4hjw

Post by g4hjw » Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:57 pm

Not only was Ian very active in in ATV over the decades, but he also had a second hobby over a similar period - ie his involvement with the Ffestiniog railway. The following is an extract from the latest Cambridge branch newsletter:

Ffestiniog Railway
East Anglian Group Newsletter.
IAN WATERS 1932 – 2021:
It is with great sadness that I have to tell you that Ian died on 10th January 2021 from heart related
problems. Ian with work colleagues at Pye in Cambridge and friends who supported the Ffestiniog Railway
decided in the early 1960’s to form the East Anglian Group of the Ffestiniog Railway Society, and with the
help of Society Director Arthur Lambert achieved this in 1963. Ian was elected to the first Committee and
has served on it continuously until his death, initially as Chairman, quite a record! He had already been a
volunteer at Boston Lodge doing various tasks including cutting up derelict slate waggons. Allan Garraway
said to him one day “ When you have finished with them, cut up that”, pointing at the derelict locomotive
Palmerston. Ian was forever thankful that he disobeyed this instruction, particularly when he saw the
locomotive fully restored to working order. He was involved in homework projects in the early days of the
Group, particularly the rebuilding of the ex Welshpool & Llanfair Light Railway cattle waggon into a very
useful covered waggon for the FR, which was piped for vacuum and saw use in passenger trains for several
years. In later years he attended Mega Bash and Giga Bash, mainly with the electrical group under the
leadership of Neil Clayton and with Richard Doe and the late Roger Hawkins. With Chris Jones, he carried
out various maintenance tasks on Prince for several years, and recalled the filthy task of working in the
smokebox. He also worked from home, restoring the original electric headlamp fitted to Moelwyn, and
with Richard Doe and Roger Hawkins the very prominent station lamp and its supporting curved bracket at
Minffordd station. In his latter years he enjoyed watching the proceedings at the FR’s various Gala
Weekends with his family, and visiting Boston Lodge to inspect progress. One memorable year he was able
to ride on the gravity slate train, an experience he described as the highlight of his Ffestiniog Railway years.
Away from the railway he was a keen “radio ham”, and had built for himself the most impressive radio
station at his Stow cum- Quy home. His work with Pye included developing colour television, with an
experimental colour transmission of the Queen’s Coronation in1953. He also advised on television
development in countries around the world which resulted in an interesting portfolio of photographs of
transport systems in countries he had visited, which entertained us at Group meetings from time to time .
When I suddenly found myself as Chairman of this Group when Mike Gates died, Ian was very supportive
and was always a good source of advice if I had a problem, and I will miss him greatly. He leaves a wife,
Susan, daughters Helen and Jenny, and three grandchildren.

Return to “General ATV Discussion”