Status Banner

Discussions about the Ryde "Set-top Box" Style Digital ATV Receiver. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Receiver
g7ntg

Status Banner

Post by g7ntg » Sat Sep 26, 2020 6:23 pm

Does anyone know if the status banner is operational yet? If so how do I get it?
The receiver is really good but I can't give any signal reports to anyone.

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: Status Banner

Post by G8GKQ » Sat Sep 26, 2020 8:09 pm

The status banner is not yet available. Tim and I have discussed some proposed formats for the status information display and he is working on implementing it.

Dave

g7ntg

Post by g7ntg » Sun Sep 27, 2020 6:39 pm

Ok Dave, I wasn't sure. The receiver works very well I am using the old sat box power supply which only gives 4.8v and surprisingly this has caused no problems at all - no yellow lightning!
I have built bare minimum with just an IR sensor and remote control in an old set top box case.
I will keep watching for the version with the status bar so that I can give signal reports.

MW0RUD

Post by MW0RUD » Sun Sep 27, 2020 9:01 pm

On Screen Display (OSD) is the next big thing on the list and is on its way, figuring out the best way to get it working properly has required me to break out the whiteboard:
PXL_20200927_190123555.jpg
PXL_20200927_190123555.jpg (174.54 KiB) Viewed 4120 times
Tim

M0DTS

Post by M0DTS » Tue Sep 29, 2020 7:55 pm

Wish there was a 'like' button on the forum :-)

btw nice work on the Ryde code, way ahead of my skills with python!
Easy to read but a lot going on, it has been useful to glean ideas from for my work on GB3KM.

Rob

MW0RUD

Post by MW0RUD » Wed Sep 30, 2020 2:58 pm

I regretted not drawing a diagram for the main code when it came to trying to shoehorning the scanning in after it was added to the spec.

I'm glad you didn't have trouble reading the code, its always hard to judge when you write code on your own if its going to make sense to a fresh set of eyes.
OSD is one of the 2 big things left to make it core complete (the other being the on screen config menu), once these are done I can start adding the nice to have features like network control.
Tim

G4WIM

Post by G4WIM » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:01 pm

Great work on the Ryde rx, I have one working on GB3FT and have just been updating the remote DTMF control system.

I've left space for the OSD control (and remote RPI shut down a la Portsdown if there is one) via dtmf, but was wondering how the control inputs might work and which GPIO pins they might be on ?

A simple toggle action for OSD such hi - lo - hi on gpio xxx and the same for shut down perhaps ?

Doubtless all will become clear in good time.

73 Tim

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Oct 12, 2020 8:45 pm

Tim

The current control inputs are listed here https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_GPIO_Connections. The hardware shutdown is on pin 26, but needs enabling in the console menu, and is active low (unlike the Portsdown).

Dave

G4WIM

Post by G4WIM » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:00 am

Hi Dave

I had a print out of that info but it left me a little puzzled with regard to the 'logic' behind the inputs, for instance:

OSD on GPIO 26 active low - does this mean while it's help low the OSD is operative and goes off when it goes high ? Or is it a momentary toggle operation ? Maybe it hasn't been coded up yet ?

Power button on GPIO 16 active low - not sure what this input does / controls ?

Hardware shut down GPIO 7 active low - I expect this needs a momentary active low to start the shut down process once implemented.

Regards Tim

MW0RUD

Post by MW0RUD » Tue Oct 13, 2020 8:46 am

Hi Tim,

The functionality of the OSD GPIO has been coded although its not in a release yet. By default when held low the the OSD is activated and deactivated again when it goes high. The polarity of that is user configurable although its not been decided yet if it will be in the console menu or if you will have to edit the config file manually.

The power button is the same as on the remotes, a single press brings up the on screen power menu, a press while in the menu performs the configured "default action" from the menu. This means you can configure it so a double (or long due to key repeat) press will trigger a Pi shutdown or restart.

Tim

Return to “The Ryde Digital ATV Receiver”