New Update (202008160) For Ryde Receiver

Discussions about the Ryde "Set-top Box" Style Digital ATV Receiver. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Receiver
G8GKQ
Site Admin

New Update (202008160) For Ryde Receiver

Post by G8GKQ » Sun Aug 16, 2020 8:59 pm

I have just released a new update for the Ryde Receiver. This is an interim update, so although it adds some notable new features (such as the ability to directly enter QO-100 downlink receive frequencies), you will notice that the on-screen menu system is still work in progress. Please be patient: Tim, Phil and I are each writing a couple of hundred lines of new code each week. We need to achieve the right balance between good design, thorough testing and speed of implementation.

This update adds an initial capability to switch between 2 bands: QO-100 and Direct. For each band, you can set up different local oscillator offsets. No other paramaters are stored with the bands yet - this is being worked on. The default offset for the QO-100 band is 9750000 kHz (low side LO). The default offset for the Direct band is 0. You can amend these values from the "Band" menu in the ssh console menu. You can then set the actual receive frequency (for example 10491500 kHz) using the remote control. So, if you want to set a different LNB local oscillator frequency, you need to do it from the ssh console menu.

You can set up the start-up (default) band, receive frequency, receive SR, polarity and LNB socket from the ssh console menu.

Phil has modified the LongMynd receive software used in Ryde so that it scans for a signal for a limited time and then (if it does not receive a valid transport stream) resets the scan instead of wandering many MHz off-frequency and off-SR. This time is set to a default of 5 seconds. If you want to extend this time (perhaps to acquire terrestrial signals in QSB), then you can set this from the advanced setting menu on the ssh console menu. Changes made to this parameter will be retained for the next time you turn the receiver on.

Limitations
  • You cannot add bands or rename the bands using the remote control or the console menu.
  • When switching bands, you will need to amend the frequency (and SR) using the remote control.
To load the update, go to the ssh console menu and select update. The on-screen instructions will talk you through it. If you are using one of the pre-defined remotes, the update should preserve your remote control type selection.

Please report any bugs here.

Dave, G8GKQ

DL5BCA

Re: New Update (202008160) For Ryde Receiver

Post by DL5BCA » Mon Aug 17, 2020 10:53 am

Hello Dave, Collin, Phil and all involved OMs.

Thank you very much for the update.

It went through without problems on my Raspi.

Could you explain the scan function to me again? In which frequency ranges and SR rates does the Ryde search?
73 Thomas
DL5BCA

PE1CHY

Post by PE1CHY » Mon Aug 17, 2020 1:14 pm

Hello Dave and others involved,

I tried the Ryde project, after some small trouble it runs perfectly! Great work!
I used a RPi4 4Gb & Minitiouner & Octagon remote control. The only problem, i was not familiar with the "new" RPi4 and initially used
the wrong HDMI output.So I got the menu and red screen, but no video, as it is only present at the HDMI-0 output.
After using the right HDMI output connector it worked perfectly.

Now I have updated with the latest version with LNB offset entry. Also flawless.

A small suggestion: (you probably have got some already....)
It would be nice to have a rotary encoder for frequency tuning and symbolrate setting.
With an encoder with pushbutton you can switch between Fr and SR. Maybe the symrate could be selected from a list of "standard" values like
1000, 500, 333, and so on. For the frequency setting you could use the LEFT and RIGHT buttons for *10 and /10.
Rotary encoders are very cheap and it doesn't need much code to implement.
73 Rob
PE1CHY

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:38 pm

Thomas

Sorry if I misled you - the scan that I am describing is part of the normal signal acquisition process, looking a few hundred kHz either side of the nominated frequency and a small percentage of the set SR either side. For example, if set to 749.25 MHz, the tuner will acquire and lock on to a signal at 748.75 MHz if it does not find a signal on 749.25 MHz first. That's about the limit.

We had noticed that this "scan" sometimes looked further away from the nominated frequency than we wanted; hence the reset.

We are working on a new feature which will dwell on a number of nominated SRs (such as 2000, 1000, 333 and 125 kS) each for 5 seconds looking for a lock at each SR. However, I am not making any promises as to when this will be implemented.

Dave

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Aug 17, 2020 4:51 pm

Rob

Pleased that you sorted it out in the end. We had described the correct HDMI socket on the Wiki.... https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Hardware

At first sight the controller that you describe sounds a good idea, but it does not fit easily with the Ryde concept. The idea for the Ryde is that it is only controlled by "set-top box" style controls (either on the remote or front panel) or by network commands. We are battling requirement creep all the time, so at the moment the answer is no.

A controller like you describe could be constructed to work through the IR interface or the planned network interface. However, bear in mind that the current longmynd tuner control code needs stopping and restarting for every frequency or SR change.

Dave, G8GKQ

DL5BCA

Post by DL5BCA » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:07 pm

Thank you Dave for the explanation.
You don't misled me .. I suspected something like that, but the scope of the scan was unclear for me ...

We want the Ryde receiver in the ATV repeater and then as a Sysop I should already know how it works.

Regarding the new feature "dewell on a numbers of nominated SR" I am very curious. Also how it works in everyday use.
I hope that this feature can be switched or selected.

I have still one question:
I have a MiniTiounerPro2, which has 2 USB outputs. Has anyone already tried whether you can also receive a signal with a 2nd Raspie on the 2nd USB?

I would like to say briefly that you are doing a really great job ... It is really great so professionally.
Thank you very much.

73 the Impatient!!
Last edited by DL5BCA on Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.
73 Thomas
DL5BCA

DL5BCA

Post by DL5BCA » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:12 pm

Hi Rob,

did you have a look at the page https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Hardware# ... onnections and https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_GPIO_Connections ?
With buttons on the front of a case you can do exactly what you want to do with a rotary encoder.

Maybe that will help you ..
73 Thomas
DL5BCA

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:24 pm

Thomas

The "Multiple SR Scan" feature is being optimised for repeater receiver use. I have tested it in the shack as a stand-alone longmynd receiver (with no supporting Ryde code) and initial results are promising. It will be fully configurable from the ssh console menu on Ryde initially.

The longmynd application, which talks to the tuner, does not currently support control of the second transport stream which would be output from the second USB socket. The Ryde Mk 1 and (and the already planned Ryde Mk2) are both single channel receivers.

Use of the second USB socket is not on our roadmap at present. We are investigating alternative approaches that do not need a USB interface between the tuner and the Raspberry Pi that will allow us to display multiple transport streams with simpler hardware.

Dave, G8GKQ

DL5BCA

Post by DL5BCA » Mon Aug 17, 2020 5:52 pm

Dave

@We are investigating alternative approaches: that's a good approach.
You can also avoid some problems (externally incorrectly programmed USB modules, faulty or bad USB cables, etc.).
73 Thomas
DL5BCA

g8gtz

Post by g8gtz » Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:24 am

Rob
We want the Ryde receiver in the ATV repeater and then as a Sysop I should already know how it works.

Regarding the new feature "dewell on a numbers of nominated SR" I am very curious. Also how it works in everyday use.
I hope that this feature can be switched or selected.
The spec we are aiming for is here - Should make a very useful repeater receiver.

https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Receiver# ... r_receiver

Noel - G8GTZ

Return to “The Ryde Digital ATV Receiver”