New Update (202008020) For Ryde Receiver

Discussions about the Ryde "Set-top Box" Style Digital ATV Receiver. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Receiver
G8GKQ
Site Admin

New Update (202008020) For Ryde Receiver

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Aug 03, 2020 9:56 am

I have just released a new update (202008020) for the Ryde Receiver. The changes are:
  • Longmynd 5 second timout and reset on signal loss; this prevents hangup on transition from DVB-S to DVB-S2 signals.
  • Support for 4 new remotes: the LG Blu-Ray Disc Player BP-530R, the Hauppauge USB PVR (ex-digilite?), the Freesat V7 Combo and the AverMedia PC Card Tuner.
  • Increased error checking and other minor improvements in the Ryde Player.
  • Support for 4K HDMI displays.
  • Increased audio volume from the RPi Audio Jack when using Comp Vid output.
  • Updated button mapping to reflect the BATC PCBs that are soon to be available from the BATC Shop
To update, simply log in by ssh, and then type menu. Use the console menu to start the update. If possible, the update preserves your old configuration file and your previous remote should still work after the update. However, if your old configuration file was out of date, or if you had a non-standard remote, you will have to re-enter the menu and reselect your remote.

If your remote is not in the list, please post details on the Forum here viewtopic.php?f=130&t=6759 and I will add it during the next update. Details of how to add a new remote are here: https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_remote_controls.

Please note that the "Mute" and "OSD Info" buttons are currently inoperative. The "Power" button simply stops the application; it is generally safe to power off the Raspberry Pi once the application is stopped.

Thanks to Phil M0DNY for the 5 second timout, to Tony G0AZQ and Shaun G8VPG for the new remotes, to Colin G4KLB for his testing and to Tim MW0RUD for the Ryde Player updates.

Dave, G8GKQ

DL5BCA

Re: New Update (202008020) For Ryde Receiver

Post by DL5BCA » Tue Aug 04, 2020 7:59 am

Hello Dave,
thank you for your work.

I ran the update yesterday, but didn't do much testing due to the lack of a remote control and switch.

What struck me last tests:
The Valid RX signal is set when a signal is detected. However, the DVBS signal is not yet decoded and the red screen is shown a short time.

Of course it works that way, but maybe you could show a picture "Signal recognized - picture coming soon", or the Valid RX signal is only set when the picture is also displayed?

How about set the LNB voltage can also be preset via the menu? For a later set via SSH remote control in the repeater?

Do you have any idea when the PCD will be available?

73 Thomas DL5BCA
73 Thomas
DL5BCA

MW0RUD

Post by MW0RUD » Tue Aug 04, 2020 8:44 am

Hi Thomas,
The Valid RX signal is set when a signal is detected. However, the DVBS signal is not yet decoded and the red screen is shown a short time.

Of course it works that way, but maybe you could show a picture "Signal recognized - picture coming soon", or the Valid RX signal is only set when the picture is also displayed?
The red screen text changes to "Locked No Video" when the Valid RX light comes on, the short delay on a strong signal is due to the video decoder waiting for enough information to decode the picture. It is possible to be locked on to a signal too weak to actually decode so I don't want change that message to say "Coming soon" as that might not be actually be the case. I have considered changing the Valid RX light to only come on when the picture plays and it is probably possible but surprisingly tricky to do reliably and I'm not sure if its the right behaviour anyway.
How about set the LNB voltage can also be preset via the menu? For a later set via SSH remote control in the repeater?
LNB voltage will be included in channel/band presets which are high on my TODO list.

Tim
MW0RUD

DL5BCA

Post by DL5BCA » Tue Aug 04, 2020 11:20 am

Hi Tim,

I also thank you for your work and effort.

This is how it works with the Valid RX signal. Maybe good if the Ryde is weak
Siganle toggles. Then a user can see that a signal arrives but is not displayed.

In the case of a neighboring ATV repeater DB0WTV, the Sysop for 13cm has built in a spectrum display for 2300 to 2400 MHz in order to be able to evaluate a digital signal. You can recognize weak analog signals by their noise, etc.
With digital signals, this is rather difficult to recognize.

73 Thomas DL5BCA
73 Thomas
DL5BCA

DL5BCA

Post by DL5BCA » Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:04 am

Hi all,

Are there some News?
73 Thomas
DL5BCA

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:10 am

Patience please Thomas

Tasks on my to-do list (not in any particular order):
  • Bugfix Portsdown 4, improve receiver performance and add more Pluto modes. Test and release.
  • Bugfix Portsdown 2020 and back-port some of the Portsdown 4 improvements. Test and release.
  • Add support for newer C920 Webcams to Portsdown 2020 and Portsdown 4. Test and release.
  • Write an FAQ for the BATC Wiki viewtopic.php?t=6804&p=24008#p24008
  • Calculate and publish the scores for the IARU Region 1 ATV Contest
  • Rewrite Ryde Console Menu to support latest RydePlayer version. Test and release both.
Not to mention my personal ATV projects.

If somebody else could contribute to the BATC Wiki, that would be helpful

Dave

DL5BCA

Post by DL5BCA » Sat Aug 15, 2020 11:35 am

Hi Dave,

and the agenda in this hot weather ...

I would like to help, but I am not at all familiar with Pluto/Lime programming ...
If there is anything else to test or something else, then I would be happy to support you.

PN to me...
73 Thomas
DL5BCA

Return to “The Ryde Digital ATV Receiver”