OBS via IPTSin on the PortsDown

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
g0mjw

Re: OBS via IPTSin on the PortsDown

Post by g0mjw » Sat Apr 18, 2020 2:05 pm

What does the ffmpeg debug tell you? If you cant see it, enable it. ffmpeg -h will give you a list of commands.

It could be a whole host of things from network issues to not detecting the stream. I assume these connections are all wired and not via WiFi.

Suggestions:

Use wireshark to check the network traffic
Run a port scanner to check the ports are open
Make sure OBS is really sending UDP by receiving it with VLC

Mike

PA3GUO

Post by PA3GUO » Sat Apr 18, 2020 3:18 pm

@G7JTT / John

John, your 250 and 333 OBS scripts work fine, could you also share your 500ks script (basic.ini) in case you have that ?
I use OBS with yr scripts, ffmpeg with your settings in the .bat file, and tested it on th eportsdown using the IPTS viewer.

Btw, there is a 4 second delay between what I see on the OBS window on the PC and what the portsdown display shows

Thanks for your excellent explainations here !!

Henk

EA3NE

Post by EA3NE » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:04 am

I have Portsdown 2020 with the latest update. It is working correctly on H265 and H264 on IPTSin with GTX1050 and OBS. But I cannot change the name of the provider or the program service, always in my transmissions it appears as a callsign "service01" instead of the callsign. I have tried scrips or pach, but am not getting it. It only works with Vmix and Vmix2PortsdownH264 scrip .... etc. But with the Vmix I get very little definition in the image, and it is not as agile as the current OBS is.
Jaume EA3NE

G7JTT

Post by G7JTT » Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:42 pm

Hi Jaime take a look at the first post, you need to use a batch file that adds the user and service id's. Unfortunately OBS is unable to add this .

Hopefully that will sort it for you, all best John G7JTT

G0LJF

Post by G0LJF » Sat Jul 18, 2020 3:39 pm

Hi,

My comment is about 250K s/s but with 1/2 error correction. 3/4 worked fine from the start.

Using that on line table gives me a bitrate of 24750 but this was not working very well with ffmpeg.

I noticed that in the ffmpeg command window the actual bitrate was more like 27500 and so I tried that.
Success. I kept the FFVBitrate=149.

That took me days to find out so perhaps it would help someone else trying to send 250 K with 1/2?

73, Mike

G0LJF

Post by G0LJF » Thu Jul 23, 2020 10:52 am

Hi,

I am seeking guidance with OBS streaming to ffmpeg and then to Portsdown2020.

My setup is as per Dave's sample ffmpeg scripts (and OBS profiles). I have one configuration for 250K s/s + 1/2, one with 250K + 3/4, and one with 333K + 3/4 (as supplied, unchanged).

I am using the pthreads ffmpeg as instructed. My PC is an i5 4 core (about 50% CPU load maximum, all video applications running).

The test setup involved checking the stream with the stream viewer in Portadown2020. All was fine - video looked good.

My problem came when I up-link to Eshail2 and view the down-link on my Minitiouner Pro. The video is mostly black and does not refresh. It stutters and can work for about 5s maximum.
I suspected that MT may not be showing my video so I also (as yet another test) streamed UDP to VLC. Again, no video in VLC.

I thought I would check my up-link and down-link so I switched OSB streaming and ffmpeg off, and went back to the simple Pi Cam (V2) input to Portsdown. H264.

That all works fine at 250K and 333K for both 1/2 and 3/4 FEC via Eshail2. So the RF up-link/down-link is OK.

Please can a) someone suggest a next course of action - I am unsure what to look at next, or b) is there a good stream checking application I may use (is this is the problem).

It may well be the way I set up OBS, of course. I am combining a web cam, a series of picture stills in a slide show, and a text scroll.

Please, any guidance where to look next? Could the PC be to slow to encode at the required frame rate for example?

ta, 73, Mike

G7JTT

Post by G7JTT » Thu Jul 23, 2020 11:42 am

Hi Mike if the IPTS monitor is seeing the video ok it should work? Have you tried monitoring the signal locally on the 2.4GHz uplink ? Also are there any ffmpeg errors in the ffmpeg batch file window ?

John

G0LJF

Post by G0LJF » Thu Jul 23, 2020 12:39 pm

Hi John,

Many thanks for replying. No that had occurred to me too - why do I not check the 'actual' modulated RF up-link low power output from Portsdown with MT Pro?

I will try that. I also have a Pluto here too, should I need to check the spectrum, but it looked nice and narrow on the Live Tune App I use.

I don't see any ffmpeg errors apart from at 250K s/s where I had to increase the bit rate from 24750 in order to remove these lines. See above...

73, Mike

G0LJF

Post by G0LJF » Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:59 pm

Hi John,

I think I must have made a mistake yesterday.
Today, it does work with both the up-link RF from Portsdown and also via Eshail2.

My only concern is I may have not changed the FEC over on Portsdown from 250 to 333 perhaps?
Or the PA was getting over-heated?

I have to use about 60-90W here, approximately. Dish is 1.1m with POTY.

I can reduce that a bit if I strip out the extra coax to the POTY, the directional coupler and the RG402 onto the POTY as that wastes over 2dB. Its still on-going this project. As they tend to be.

So all is well, but a bit hot. PA shuts-down at 46C at present (I can adjust that).

Tnx anyhow,

73, Mike

G7JTT

Post by G7JTT » Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:31 pm

Great that it's now working, come join the QO100 net at 8pm tonight if you can 👍

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”