Controlling the Ryde from a USB Keyboard

Discussions about the Ryde "Set-top Box" Style Digital ATV Receiver. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Ryde_Receiver
G8GKQ
Site Admin

Controlling the Ryde from a USB Keyboard

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Jul 20, 2020 7:43 pm

It has been pointed out by Wolfgang DL1BJV that is is possible to control the Ryde Receiver from a standard USB computer keyboard.

I had never intended to provide this functionality, but it is very useful if you do not have a local network available and you need to configure a new remote control.

Simply boot up the Ryde and then plug the USB keyboard into one of the RPi 4's USB2 ports. Then type menu and press enter, and the receiver will stop and your HDMI screen will display the console menu. You can then change any settings, and restart the receiver, by using the keyboard.

It does work with the latest version (202007200), but I do not guarantee that this trick will always work. Much of the functionality it provides should be possible from the on-screen menus in future versions.

Thanks to Wolfgang for this tip!

Dave, G8GKQ

MW0RUD

Re: Controlling the Ryde from a USB Keyboard

Post by MW0RUD » Mon Jul 20, 2020 11:32 pm

This is technically a bug, but as its a useful bug I'll leave it in until its less useful :D

At some point the player will be controllable from a keyboard which will break this, I'll make sure that is below adding config options to the player on the list.

Tim, MW0RUD

Return to “The Ryde Digital ATV Receiver”