Unidentified early BBC Camera

The place to discuss ex-Broadcast equipment
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
G8GQS

Unidentified early BBC Camera

Post by G8GQS » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:25 pm

In this picture of the colour studio, the smaller of the two cameras is unidentified, the larger is a Marconi three-tube 3" IO RGB camera the BD848. The unidentified camera is a bit of a conundrum, in the early 1960s colour cameras were Huge! and this camera is very compact for a colour camera at that time. To me it has the look of a Marconi. From the size it must have used Vidicons in a two or three tube arrangement.

I have asked the most likely person to know, who suggested it might be a Philips LDK2 precursor, I'm not so sure myself. There seems to be 2 camera cables at the rear, possibly BICC Mk4b, it was common at the time for colour cameras to have more than one cable. This would have given 6 co-ax circuits back to the CCU, R,G & B plus Live Drive (scan?) and return viewfinder.

If anyone can help with the identity I would be very pleased. I have not seen this one before and have no other pictures of it.

Big picture at; http://www.tvcameramuseum.org/michael-b ... r1_jpg.htm

Regards Brian
Attachments
BBC COLOUR unidentified 2.jpg
BBC COLOUR unidentified 2.jpg (48 KiB) Viewed 7767 times
Regards Brian

Visit the Virtual Broadcast TV camera Museum

gm1mfn

Re: Unidentified early BBC Camera

Post by gm1mfn » Fri Oct 14, 2011 2:09 pm

It looks quite like an early Philips prototype with 2/3" Plumbicons but I'm not sure. However, I've contacted a man who might know.
Doppler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

gm1mfn

Post by gm1mfn » Sat Oct 15, 2011 2:46 pm

Unfrotunately my contact (ITN not BBC) doesn't know either but suggests it might be an early Bosch-Fernseh model.
Doppler effect: The tendency of stupid ideas to seem smarter when they come at you rapidly.

G8GQS

Post by G8GQS » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:07 pm

Yes it's a bit of a mystery. The fact that it is in use with a 3 tube IO camera in a demonstration type set indicates it is before the start of regular colour transmissions, so the date is the early 1960s, well before the introduction of the 2/3" tubes. The Bosch Fernseh cameras were much bigger at that time.

Thanks

Brian
Regards Brian

Visit the Virtual Broadcast TV camera Museum

Return to “Broadcast Equipment Discussion Zone”