Langstone Discussion Forum

Forum for discussion about the Langstone Microwave Transceiver that shares some features with the Portsdown. Wiki: https://wiki.microwavers.org.uk/Langstone_Project
G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: Langstone Discussion Forum

Post by G8GKQ » Sat Jun 06, 2020 4:35 pm

Mike

Suggest you choose any of the pins marked LCD display on this table: https://wiki.batc.org.uk/PTT_and_band_s ... onnections. They are not used elsewhere in Portsdown A27 or Langstone.

Dave

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Sat Jun 06, 2020 5:34 pm

Thanks Dave

- that's 11, 16, 18 and 22 but 11 and 22 are already being used by Colin, so we have 2 more 16, 18, which is a good start. What about the other LCD display pins - can they be used as GPIO as well or are they limited to the MOSI/MISO used elsewhere in the Portsdown ?

Incidentally, why do we still need I, Q and the IQ filter select? There is no IQ in the Pluto/Langstone? Compatibility with the older version?

I think I will use the shutdown LED pin for my yellow LED - using it as an error signal might be useful and shouldn't interfere with the standard running.

The PTT LED can share pin 40. Leaving something like this? The order of the IO is a bit strange but probably doesn't matter.
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (72.02 KiB) Viewed 8689 times

Mike

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sat Jun 06, 2020 7:49 pm

Mike

I think that all the "LCD Display" pins should work, but you'd need to try them.

No reason not to use the filter select or IQ pins.

Dave

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:27 pm

Mike,

I have added 4 extra band bits to the code on pins 16, 18, 19 and 21 as you suggested.

The band bits setting code has been changed so that you can set each bit individually.
Use the left and right mouse button to select the relevant bit which will show in green. Turn the tuning knob to change from 0 to 1.

It appears to work on the screen but I have not checked that the actual outputs are being set. Maybe you could check that.

Colin.

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Sat Jun 06, 2020 8:41 pm

Great.

I just finished wiring the relays so will have a check. Some pins light the relay LEDs dimly at the moment so may need to change. We will see.

Mike

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:06 pm

Hi Colin,

Works perfectly. I tested a few bands. A bit tedious as my relays are inverted, so I edited the config file after that to set them all to 255 rather than 0. Then went through band by band. All good. Checking the config file all OK. I find editing the config file is easier than going through the Gui but that's probably just me. The binary nature of the setting is quite intuitive. It might be worth having a sensible initial default setting,

However, I have noticed a problem with my mouse rotary encoder bounce so it was quite hard to set 0 or 1 consistently. I don't know if you are doing any de-bouncing but it might help. Might just be the encoder I have. Not sure if others have seen that..

Here is the relay card I am using. Prices have risen considerably, they are now over £6, but it's still cheaper than making your own.
Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (127.02 KiB) Viewed 8662 times
Mike

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:14 pm

Actually this might be better as it has logic sense jumpers. A little more expensive at £8.

Clipboard01.jpg
Clipboard01.jpg (133.08 KiB) Viewed 8660 times

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:00 pm

Mike,

Glad to hear it is working.

Any debouncing of the encoder should be done by the mouse controller. All it sends to the GUI is a value indicating the number of clicks. If it is bouncing then I would have thought it wouldn’t work very well as a mouse scroll wheel. Mine seems to work fine.

I could probably change the code so that turning any number of clicks clockwise set the bit to 1 and any number anti-clockwise set it to 0. That might make setting a bit easier.

The default setting is for each of the 12 bands to be encoded as a binary number from 0 to 11. That fits in with the use of a decoded switch board such as the BATC one.

As you say for multiple bands it is probably easier the edit the config file.

Colin.

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:24 am

As I'm building my Langstone with 'portable' in mind I'm hoping to use buttons and an encoder to simulate a mouse, whilst retaining the option of plugging a mouse in when a surface to use it on is available. In the early Langstone notes I think I read that the volume could be selected/controlled by the central '3rd' button (click the scroll wheel?). This doesn't seem to be the case.
Has the middle button been scrapped - I ask as Im planning my 'front panel' and intend to use a DPCO switch to change the data lines over from external mouse to internal mouse PCB wired to encoder and switches.
ANyone see a flaw in this thinking? Do I need to fit a '3rd button' atall??
Thanks
Gareth

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:50 am

My mouse certainly bounces, sends double steps, but it could be the original encoder and replacement are sufficiently different that it's internal CPU can't cope. Wired mice are less common these days. A solution to this and one without the need for a dismembered mouse in the box might be a microcontroller with a USB interface emulating a mouse. Not sure I know how to make an Arduino do that, but someone else might. I assume it's not possible to do this via GPIO and free up the USB port?

Mike

Return to “The Langstone Microwave Transceiver”