New Portsdown Buster 2020 Build with Receiver Upgrades

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
G8GKQ
Site Admin

Re: New Portsdown Buster 2020 Build with Receiver Upgrades

Post by G8GKQ » Sun May 24, 2020 2:15 pm

Graham

It should give you smooth video. Try omxplayer, that might work. The players are a bit fickle - that's why there are 3 to try, although VLC seems to be the most reliable.

Dave

g3yjr

Post by g3yjr » Tue May 26, 2020 1:53 pm

It seems VLC does stream slowly for a short time, but then stalls.

g3yjr

Post by g3yjr » Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:32 pm

But Portsdown does work very well for me when receiving from QO100 and displaying via VLC. I'll have another go with the Lincoln repeater at some point.

Dave, I haven't got the other two decoding/display programs to show me anything yet, but I am impressed with how quickly Portsdown locks on and discerns the error correction and presents a picture. It is faster than my Minitioune setup, though that is quite an old PC running Win10.

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:20 pm

Hi Graham

There'll be an update of the Portsdown receive software soon which will have a better VLC player that works for nearly all signals on QO-100. Just undergoing beta testing.

The other 2 players are only there in case VLC fails to decode. Sometimes only omxplayer gives audio.

Dave

keng8vdp

Post by keng8vdp » Thu Jul 02, 2020 6:02 am

After several Monday night tests with locals since update the performance is superb using vlc. I tried DVB-S , DVB-S2 lovely on every occasion, H264 to G5TV & M1EGI and that was good also (less audio of course). Receiving them was also excellent. This stability is a real step forward. Minitiouner with Portsdown decodes almost instantly. Locally we often don't know what's causing a receive problem as there are so many suspects, radar from North Yorkshire, Emley moor TV mast, a problem on TX side etc. Now that we are getting smooth playing received video we can discount those subjects. Not only that, we are NOT getting the momentary dips in rf output we "were" getting. My Rf power meter on TX just sits there with a constant output. The satisfaction factor has gone up to 11 on the Spinal Tap knob. Less problems means more time to mess with other ATV projects.
One last thing. The feeling that I actually know what I'm doing has returned. Well, some of the time at least.
Brilliant... Thank you ..

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”