Noddy's Guide to Github?

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
G4uvz

Noddy's Guide to Github?

Post by G4uvz » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:22 am

I see lots of references to GITHUB

Not the nicest of names!

Initially I was under the impression its was repository for clever computer code but understand that it might have some useful info for the less PC literate among us!

Can someone explain how it all works..and where the awful name came from??!!

g4eml

Re: Noddy's Guide to Github?

Post by g4eml » Sun Nov 10, 2019 11:53 am

Like most Linux utilities the name doesn’t seem to have any logical meaning. The only sense I can make of it was that it was developed to replace a utility called ‘Bit Tracker’.

It is basically a revision control system that tracks and manages changes to files. Often those files are the source code for computer programs but they can be any type of files. For example if you have a text document by saving it to Github you can track and record any changes you or others make to that document. You can go back to any point in the documents history and extract the version that existed at that time.

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Sun Nov 10, 2019 12:50 pm

It is called GITHUB as it is a hub for GIT

- now according to Wikipedia the name "git" was given by Linus Torvalds when he wrote the very first version. He described the tool as "the stupid content tracker" and the name as (depending on your way):
  • random three-letter combination that is pronounceable, and not actually used by any common UNIX command. The fact that it is a mispronunciation of "get" may or may not be relevant.
  • stupid. contemptible and despicable. simple. Take your pick from the dictionary of slang.
  • "global information tracker": you're in a good mood, and it actually works for you. Angels sing, and a light suddenly fills the room.
As with most good things, Github has been bought out by Micro$oft for $7.5Bn so we can expect it to become gradually less useful, more restricted and no longer free for open source.

I use it for software and for PCB designs.

Mike

G4uvz

Post by G4uvz » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:44 pm

Thanks both for the info as I don't think I use LINUX .unless it is in the Portsdown ...in which case Dave GKQ will look after that for me!!

I don't think therefore, that I need to lose any sleep over GITHUB!

Many thanks

Adrian

Return to “General ATV Discussion”