ADALM-PLUTO (new DATV SDR)

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
M5TXJ

Re: ADALM-PLUTO (new DATV SDR)

Post by M5TXJ » Tue Oct 15, 2019 10:51 am

Thanks Mike,
Got that sorted now, for some reason OBS was trying to connect to 192.168.2.10 - onwards and upwards to the next issue and OBS now keeps disconnecting and reconnecting! I guess that's Pluto overflow even though I'm only running at 333 and 250 from OBS. I've done both the the second CPU and extended frequency mods.
Thanks for the help folks.
73 Dave
...are you sure I can't use a pair of 813's?... :shock:

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:03 pm

The connection disconnection is a sign you have set the data rate too high. Reduce it until it works reliably. You can do that dynamically while it is running. Try 100k and work up, or 180k and work down.

EDIT - this rate is less than you expect because there is audio and also overheads in the transport stream plus the error correction. Don't set it to 333k or to 250k. There is a way to calculate it but test and see works fine.

Mike

M5TXJ

Post by M5TXJ » Tue Oct 15, 2019 1:00 pm

Thanks Mike,
That's a great help, just need to work out what combinations are valid now. I wonder if this might mean one day Portsdown will support the Pluto?
73 Dave
Attachments
20191015_120511_resized.jpg
20191015_120511_resized.jpg (92.79 KiB) Viewed 19020 times

m0eyt

Post by m0eyt » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:39 pm

Hi Dave, glad you have the pluto working for DATV, the constellation it outputs is particularly good! If you need some words on OBS setup re bitrates etc let me know and I'll help you.

regards,

Paul EYT.

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Tue Oct 15, 2019 2:59 pm

It would be worth putting a table together perhaps.

Mike

m0eyt

Post by m0eyt » Mon Oct 21, 2019 7:48 am

Morning,

Although I've not yet assembled a table, I have updated https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Custom_DATV_Fi ... _the_Pluto to include stuff on setting the bitrate etc. It may be that using the OBS API call stuff it would be possible to do some things like setting the bitrate automatically based on a given modulation type, FEC and TS rate. In reality, I'd think that there are only a few combinations that we would want to use, for example 250Ksps with 1/2 rate FEC, you then get to a point where the video rate increases a little bit with FEC variations, but then you just move to 333ksps etc, so I dont believe every combination of mod, rate, FEC etc is needed, just a couple of FECs for each TS rate.

Am I talking rubbish or does this make sense?

regards,

Paul EYT.

M5TXJ

Post by M5TXJ » Mon Oct 21, 2019 2:42 pm

I think I understand mate, that said I did leave my toolbox 200 miles away in Dundee after a job yesterday! Going senile it appears.

73 Dave.

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Mon Oct 21, 2019 6:57 pm

****RTFM***

"I found an old USB<>Ethernet adapter and an OTG adapter, plugged it into the PLUTO's USB IO port, and a phone charger battery into the PSU USB port, the PLUTO defaults to DHCP so quickly obtains an IP address once its internal Linux OS has booted."

Found one, now looking for my OTG lead... :-)

I've flashed my Pluto and can access the 'instructions' page as http://192.168.2.1/
I can't find it if I look at my network though (using FING on my phone). I've got the Larix on my phone too but (not surprisingly) it fails to find the device if I use 192.168.2.1. I have installed the drivers for the pluto on my PC.
Am I missing something? Its plugged into my PC via USB, do I need a USB to RJ45 converter or do something else I've missed.
Thanks for any pointers.....
Gareth G4XAT

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:46 am

Well that works like a dream :-)
Using my phone and Larix where I suspect I can have lots of Pluto device definitions set up for different frequencies and SRs. Very impressive to say the least!
Now wondering if I could straight connect a laptop RJ45 to the RJ45/USB Pluto dongle.....or use a wireless access point /router combined to use the phone when out portable.....and how to get a TX logic signal for amp keying duties.....

Great stuff, many thanks for the no doubt endless hours put into the software.

Gareth G4XAT

m0eyt

Post by m0eyt » Tue Oct 22, 2019 10:51 am

Hi Gareth,

OK So with the PLUTO there is a USB <> microUSB adapter, you push it into your standard USB type A plug and it converts that to microUSB which you put into the USB port on the PLUTO. You might be better off hard coding the IP address in the 'sdcard' - look in config.txt for the following lines;

[USB_ETHERNET]
ipaddr_eth =
netmask_eth = 255.255.255.0

and set the ip_addr_eth to something free in your local subnet. I'm using a lenovo RTL8153 on mine and it worked straight away with no fiddling around needed. I did find some old USB<>eth adapter that didn't work with the pluto, I checked this by plugging it in and out, the reconnecting the PC to the PLUTO USB port and doing a 'dmesg' via SSH to see if the kernel recognised the USB adapter and got;

usb 1-1: new high-speed USB device number 2 using ci_hdrc
usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=17ef, idProduct=7205
usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=1, Product=2, SerialNumber=6
usb 1-1: Product: Thinkpad USB LAN
usb 1-1: Manufacturer: Lenovo
usb 1-1: SerialNumber: 000001000000
usb 1-1: reset high-speed USB device number 2 using ci_hdrc
r8152 1-1:1.0 eth0: v1.09.9 <-- this is the line that says the USB i/f is tied to eth0

Start with setting a static, check to see if you can get to http://yoursetstaticip where you should see the PLUTO info page etc. If you wanted to get to the PLUTO when its connected to your PC and assuming your internal LAN isnt on 192.168.2.x, you should be able to do the 'share internet connection' on the PLUTO interface, then on your phone add a route to 192.168.2.x via the IP of your PC, Larix will then be able to stream to it. You wont be able to see it from your local LAN unless you do some sort of bridging / routing, that share internet connection isn't brilliant but it will work.

I'd recommend to start with that you install OBS on the PC to make sure that you have comms to the PLUTO and can indeed stream some video to it.

If you need further tips happy to chat it through on the QO100 n/b transponder.

regards,

Paul M0EYT.

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”