No SSH on Portsdown

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
G8YTZ

No SSH on Portsdown

Post by G8YTZ » Thu Sep 12, 2019 8:11 pm

I've just put together two Portsdown RPI's using the 3B+

The first one I bought the BATC SSD and no issues at all, its currently running the test GB3JV Streamer.

The second one (attached to the 7" screen) I downloaded the code from the BATC Website link and I've run into an issue:

NO SSH on the Pi.I re-downloaded the iso and re-cut the SSD 3 times, still the same issue

I connected a keyboard to kick off the installation and all is working perfectly on the touch screen, still no ssh access...

Justins-MacBook-2:~ justincockett$ ssh 192.168.0.120
ssh: connect to host 192.168.0.120 port 22: Connection refused

Any ideas?

M0SKM

Re: No SSH on Portsdown

Post by M0SKM » Fri Sep 13, 2019 2:13 pm

Hi,
Did you create the ssh file as per the install instructions?

Before you remove the card from your Windows PC, look at the card with windows explorer; the volume should be labeled "boot". Create a new empty file called ssh in the top-level (root) directory by right-clicking, selecting New, Text Document, and then change the name to ssh (not ssh.txt). You should get a window warning about changing the filename extension. Click OK. If you do not get this warning, you have created a file called ssh.txt and you need to rename it ssh. IMPORTANT NOTE: by default, Windows (all versions) hides the .txt extension on the ssh file. To change this, in Windows Explorer, select File, Options, click the View tab, and then untick "Hide extensions for known file types". Then click OK.

Steve
Find me on D Star through GB7BP

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Fri Sep 13, 2019 3:03 pm

Hi Justin

Steve's reply covers the most likely scenario.

However, if you have already built the card, you can use the 2nd or 3rd set of instructions at serial 2 on this page to enable it: https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentati ... ccess/ssh/

Dave, G8GKQ

G8YTZ

Post by G8YTZ » Tue Oct 08, 2019 9:46 pm

Many thanks guys! That was it! Fixed, many thanks. I'll put on my dunce hat now....

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”