Minitiouner RX OK but no picture SORTED TNX BATC Members

Discussion about the MiniTiouner board and the MiniTiouner Digital ATV Receive Software. See also http://www.vivadatv.org/index.php
g0mjw

Re: Minitiouner issue RX OK but no picture HELP PLS

Post by g0mjw » Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:01 pm

keng8vdp wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:37 pm
Hi, I fully understand what you are saying. with respect, I wonder if you are understanding what im saying.

[/quote]

With respect no, because you did not explain it very clearly the first time and I am not sure I want to help any more, but last try - re-program the FTDI module.

Everything is working except for the data getting to the PC. I take it there is no Transposrt stream received, your photo does not show that part of the screen If there is a TS, dump it to a file and look at it, maybe some bits are always 0 or 1. If you look at the schematic you can see the data lines and control lines. One of these may not be working. Look at them with a scope perhaps? Dry joint? Who knows. Something could have failed, or got zapped.

Mike

EDIT - also check the logic chip

keng8vdp

Post by keng8vdp » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:36 pm

g0mjw wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 4:01 pm
keng8vdp wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 1:37 pm
Hi, I fully understand what you are saying. with respect, I wonder if you are understanding what im saying.
With respect no, because you did not explain it very clearly the first time and I am not sure I want to help any more, but last try - re-program the FTDI module.

Everything is working except for the data getting to the PC. I take it there is no Transposrt stream received, your photo does not show that part of the screen If there is a TS, dump it to a file and look at it, maybe some bits are always 0 or 1. If you look at the schematic you can see the data lines and control lines. One of these may not be working. Look at them with a scope perhaps? Dry joint? Who knows. Something could have failed, or got zapped.

Mike

EDIT - also check the logic chip
[/quote]

Hands up. In hindsight I didnt explain it very well !
Yes im an old bald fat grumpy git.
I too help a lot of people and always encourage them to try new stuff especially ATV
Having said that I am doing my best to explain the problem and show it and I do appreciate your help. To be quite honest I am not too savvy with DATV and its very confusing for me at times. Old dog new tricks and all that.
There are many like me, trying to move on from Analogue and keep up with the more modern way of doing things. ime just having one last throw of the ATV dice.
Some if not most of what you suggest above I do not understand. Dump the transport stream to a file is one. Look at it (the file), is another. Understand what Im looking at, is another. Re-program the FTDI module . Hmmm you lost me on that one big time. Check the logic chip ... hmm that one im not capable of either.

Obviously, Im not at the same level as you are so its likely all is lost for it.

Ill chuck it in my many lost projects boxes and probably buy a new kit.
Never mind eh !

Thanks again Mike ... Ken

keng8vdp

Post by keng8vdp » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:48 pm

IMG_20191003_194112_compress15.jpg
IMG_20191003_194112_compress15.jpg (1.29 MiB) Viewed 4644 times

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:55 pm

There is something about re-programming the chip on the Wiki I think. If you get one from BATC it comes pre-programmed but it can get messed up sometimes. If you buy one from elsewhere, you need to program it with a program called ft_prog from FTDI

The TS stream is saved using the Record Switch in minitioune, it saves a file in the executable's directory. Just record a few seconds. You would need something like notepad+ to look at it.

Ignore now I see the screen image But is there any actual data being received ? That would tell us a lot. If there is it is probably corrupted and there is a problem with one of the date lines. if no data then it could be the FTDI module.

Don't worry about LDPC errors - that's just how hard the error correction is working. A screeenshot would help. Oh - you posted one as I was writing - right there is data. I think one of the data lines is not working. Perhaps re-solder the pins in case on is a bad joint? On module and on FTDI connector.

Mike

Edit - Hang on - you have got the stream data - it has the beacon callsign. You must be getting valid data! Record some, then try to play it back with windows media player or VideolanClient (VLC)

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:07 pm

I had to edit last post because the screen image appeared - the good news is it looks like the minitiouner is fine and sending valid data. You can't display the beacon on the Portsdown reliably - the rate is too high for it. I should have remembered that.

I go back to the problem looking like software. You may not have changed anything but windows has a habit of changing things all by itself. You do not appear to have a valid .GRF file. (that red box on the right should be a green one)

Can you run the test_my_minitiouner utilits and see what it says?

If you record some of the data, you should be able to play it back.

Mike

keng8vdp

Post by keng8vdp » Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:55 pm

g0mjw wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 7:07 pm
I had to edit last post because the screen image appeared - the good news is it looks like the minitiouner is fine and sending valid data. You can't display the beacon on the Portsdown reliably - the rate is too high for it. I should have remembered that.

I go back to the problem looking like software. You may not have changed anything but windows has a habit of changing things all by itself. You do not appear to have a valid .GRF file. (that red box on the right should be a green one)

Can you run the test_my_minitiouner utilits and see what it says?

If you record some of the data, you should be able to play it back.

Mike
Mike, I'm puzzled very much so.
You say above
"I go back to the problem looking like software. You may not have changed anything but windows has a habit of changing things all by itself"

The thing is. The photo above is of my laptop with Minitiouner.
I also posted a photo of my Portsdown and a link to a video of it receiving the beacon.
I also have another Portsdown (old style)
On all 3 systems , I was receiving the beacon using Minitiouner and they "were" producing video on screen no problems
Forgive me but I can't see it being a software issue as the laptop uses different software to the Portsdown yet the issue of no video has occurred on all 3 systems whichever I use and they all stopped showing video on the same evening within the time it took me to shut down and move the Minitiouner from one system to the next then boot up the software.
I think doing that, I've deduced that the issue is in the Minitiouner hardware. Or am I wrong again ?
Haha, I often am because she's always telling me so.

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:07 pm

Hi Ken

I am somewhat confused as well, because throughout development of the LongMynd receive software on Portsdown, I have never succeeeded in displaying the picture from the beacon on the Portsdown. It just can't do it.

Please could you try to display another QO-100 signal that is known to be 1000KS or below and encoded in H264 (NOT H265)?

As for the Windiows PCs, you may well find that Windows Update has broken the video player. Try using UDP, either from the Portsdown or from the MiniTioune software and displaying the picture with VLC.

It is very unlikely that connecting the MiniTiouner to the Portsdown has damaged something in the tuner, as there is no direct connection. Also the fact that MiniTioune software is displaying A71A and QARS means that it must be getting the transport stream from the tuner - so the problem is in Windows.

Dave, G8GKQ

keng8vdp

Post by keng8vdp » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:15 pm

Sorry Dave ..not the beacon on Portsdown but other stations , my error for misleading.
What I mean is. I "was" receiving video on Portsdown but now I'm not. I get a black screen with the info top left showing Lock , frequency, MER etc but unlike before I'm now only getting that . no video

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Thu Oct 03, 2019 8:59 pm

Ken

If you are not going to even try the suggestions I gave you about recording, and you refuse to believe me what I say its software, despite my having much more experience in this, I don't think there is much point continuing. Good luck, but you are on your own.

Mike

keng8vdp

Post by keng8vdp » Thu Oct 03, 2019 9:12 pm

Mike, I'm sorry, maybe I didn't put it the right way. Things don't always come across right in text.
I will do those tests. I never said I won't or implied it.
I'll respond with the results on here.
I just couldnt do things right away as grandkids come after school and then I have to do other stuff.

All I was stating was my thoughts which i see as logical and I did say I will probably be wrong ...again. then I joked about that , my wife etc. Saying I'm often wrong.
Please don't be upset. Its just my way. I need all the help I can get.
If you see the comments i made from MY angle.
I'm NOT questioning your advice, I'm questioning my thinking.

However, if you feel offended fair enough but it wasn't intended.

Ken
Last edited by keng8vdp on Fri Oct 04, 2019 7:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “The MiniTiouner and MiniTioune Digital Receive Software”