Use of the NVIDIA Jetson Nano for DATV

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
G4ZRT

Re: Use of the NVIDIA Jetson Nano for DATV

Post by G4ZRT » Tue Aug 20, 2019 4:56 pm

Have tried installing as per the instructions using the latest Jetson build JP 4.2.1 dated 2019/7/19. Many issues with this build and no success.

Then tried version 3.2.1 dated 2018/06/13 and while this got a little further still would not complete.

The fatal error was during the installation of hacktv where it could not find the ffmpeg libraries:

Line that failed:

Code: Select all

gcc -g -Wall -pthread -O3   -c ffmpeg.c -o ffmpeg.o
With the errors (abbreviated):

Perhaps you should add the directory containing `libavutil.pc'
to the PKG_CONFIG_PATH environment variable
No package 'libavutil' found
gcc -g -Wall -pthread -O3 -c ffmpeg.c -o ffmpeg.o
ffmpeg.c:39:10: fatal error: libavcodec/avcodec.h: No such file or directory
#include <libavcodec/avcodec.h>
^~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
compilation terminated.
Makefile:32: recipe for target 'ffmpeg.o' failed
make: *** [ffmpeg.o] Error 1

I did install the developer version off ffmpeg but this made no difference. Tried changing the PKG_CONFIG_PATH variable but still no luck.

Have been through this several times today...

Any help appreciated.

Mark

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Thu Aug 22, 2019 9:24 pm

G4ZRT

Post by G4ZRT » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:37 pm

OK so here is the solution to my problem creating a workable image on the Jetson Nano:

Do not use the latest Jetson Nano Jetpack v 4.2.1 but use the older 3.2.1 image here - https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/d ... -l4t-3_2_1

The installation instructions should then be:

sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get -y dist-upgrade
sudo apt-get -y install git htop nano vlc v4l-utils

sudo apt-get install libhackrf-dev libavutil-dev libavdevice-dev libswresample-dev libswscale-dev libavformat-dev libavcodec-dev

git clone https://github.com/F5OEO/dvbsdr
cd dvbsdr
./install.sh

This still gives some errors during the compile but produces a working system.

Hope this helps others.

Mark

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Fri Aug 23, 2019 12:53 pm

I will check what Jetpack version I have - I know it won't be the latest as this is only just released. Usually the latest version is to be preferred and there is a year and a version upgrade between 3.2 and 4.2. https://developer.nvidia.com/embedded/jetpack-archive

I do not recall needing to install the extra libs. Anyway, we should update the WiKi with the latest dependencies.

Mike

G4ZRT

Post by G4ZRT » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:38 pm

There are many changes in the latest release that cause problems.

As an example the name of the Jetson Nano ( found in /proc/device-tree/model) detected by detect_platform.sh in the dvbsdr package has changed so the Jetson Nano unique options are then not installed by install.sh (eg ffmpeg). There also seem to be other changes including SSH but I didn't delve any further into those.

Mark

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Fri Aug 23, 2019 1:45 pm

They must be taking lessons from Microsoft!

FRANCOIS F1CHF

Post by FRANCOIS F1CHF » Tue Oct 08, 2019 4:44 pm

F1CJN_alain wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 8:28 am
Hello
I am trying to use the Picam with the Jetson by modifying Evariste script (waiting for my LKV373A !).
Unfortunately my Picam is 1.3 and not 2 , and I red on a forum that Jetson Nano works with the Picam 2.
So what kind of Picam did you test ?
Thanks
Alain, F1CJN
In god we trust and also in CJN work....
F1CHF near Paris France

m0vse

Post by m0vse » Fri Nov 22, 2019 12:16 am

Hi all.

I received my Jetson Nano yesterday and am now successfully transmitting DVB-S2 across the room to my Minitiouner...

As I downloaded the latest SD image, I discovered a number of issues with the instructions (many have already been discussed here).

I have also made a number of changes to the nanoencode.sh script which I can let people have if they are interested, mainly I added a VIDEOSOURCE called TEST which uses the gstreamer videotestsrc and audiotestsrc. This allowed me to play around with other settings while having a "good" video/audio source.

Once I had this working, I thought that I would try my generic H.265/H.264 HDMI Encoder/streamer to get video into the Nano (which incidentally works very well streaming to the BATC.) I enabled the multicast UDP stream output and have been fighting with settings for the last few hours. The main issue seemed to be that the default gst-launch commands expected the audio to be in mp2/3 format and the video streamer only supports AAC or G711 so I have made various changes to this and now have it working in either H264 or H264 mode from the streamer.

What is really useful with this streamer is it supports 3 separate streams (main, sub and mobile) with simultaneous Multicast UDP and Unicast RTMP so I am streaming to the Nano and BATC with it.

Quite pleased and am going to experiment further to try to optimize settings etc.

One "gotcha" with anybody playing around with Multicast UDP and managed network switches, make sure that you enable IGMP in the switch, otherwise the multicast data will never reach the Nano! The shouldn't be a problem with unmanaged switches as they should just pass all Multicast traffic to all ports by default.

73 Phil M0VSE

G4WIM

Post by G4WIM » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:13 pm

Hi Phil,

interesting work - any chance you could post your settings for the video source streamer (OBS or Vmix ?) and the tweaks you made to nanoencode.sh ?

I'm currently using OBS + LKV373 + Nano + Lime works ok most of the time but the output from my PC seems to upset the LKV at times but by tweaking the video card parameters I can make it run fairly well only dropping the odd frame every 20 seconds or so.

73 Tim

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Fri Nov 22, 2019 9:44 pm

Here are my OBS settings for piping to a pluto with UDP. This setup was for 33ks. I also set the frame rate to 15.
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (162.75 KiB) Viewed 4813 times
Resoult sort of looks like this.
Capture2.JPG
Capture2.JPG (52.7 KiB) Viewed 4813 times

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”