CODEC Advice Needed

Discussion about the MiniTiouner board and the MiniTiouner Digital ATV Receive Software. See also http://www.vivadatv.org/index.php
M0SKM

Re: CODEC Advice Needed

Post by M0SKM » Thu Aug 15, 2019 3:07 pm

When I run the check utility this is what I see.
driversandfilters.jpg
driversandfilters.jpg (35.31 KiB) Viewed 5690 times
Have you compared your two computers?

Steve
Find me on D Star through GB7BP

G4NRT

Post by G4NRT » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:43 pm

Good idea! I compared them!

This is the old (working) PC:
Working.JPG
Working.JPG (69.82 KiB) Viewed 5681 times
And this is the new (non-working) PC:
Not Working.JPG
Not Working.JPG (25.76 KiB) Viewed 5681 times
As you can see , they are identical. I have also unplugged the network, disabled the Wifi, disabled the BitDefender Anti-Virus and all Windows security measures. I suppose the only thing I can now realistically do is to trash my hard drive and re-install all my applications etc. from scratch starting with Minitioune ... or give up, sell my Minitiouner and other DATV kit and forget the whole thing ....

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Thu Aug 15, 2019 5:56 pm

What sort of PC is it and what OS?

Mike

G4NRT

Post by G4NRT » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:04 pm

It is a band new Intel NUC NUC7i7BNH (16GB RAM / 512GB SSD) and the OS is Windows 10 with the latest service pack / patches installed. The working device is a Microsoft Surface Book also running Windows 10 and also with the latest patches installed.

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:13 pm

I have run out of ideas - perhaps some bloatware has been added. I would reinstall the minitoiune software etc while bitlocker is off just in case it disabled something. Meanwhile - that model is off the desirable list.

Mike

G4NRT

Post by G4NRT » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:22 pm

Thanks Mike. I’ve uninstalled BitDefender and I’ll keep removing stuff. I may just re-install the PC from scratch.

I’ve uninstalled and re-installed all the MiniTioune software multiple times.

Oh well. Looks like it’s going to be a long haul!!

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Thu Aug 15, 2019 6:33 pm

I have been looking at that machine - I am not sure it is compatible with the codecs. Google came up with issues but also I found this https://www.ghacks.net/2017/12/06/windo ... rs-update/

Microsoft removes HEVC codec in Windows 10 Fall Creators Update, adds it to Store

New installations of Microsoft's most recent version of Windows 10, the Fall Creators Update version or version 1709, come without support for the HEVC codec.

Users who install the system anew or for the first time may notice that the codec is missing, and may install the HEVC Video Extension from the Microsoft Store to restore the functionality.

Microsoft removed support for the HEVC codec from Windows 10 Fall Creators Update for new installations. Systems that are upgraded to the Fall Creators Update version are not affected, as the codec is carried over in that scenario.

Users who try to play videos that require the codec will get a black screen or an error message instead depending on the app or program they use to access the content. This is true even for Microsoft's own programs such as official Movies & TV application.

G4NRT

Post by G4NRT » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:34 pm

I think that MUST be the issue ... I think I may have mentioned earlier that the two *.TS files in the Minitioune folder were opening with the "Film and TV" application in Windows 10 which I then proceeded to uninstall.

I have dowloaded and installed the HEVC extension from the Windows store (it was 79p!) and re-installed the "Film and TV" app but of course, it makes no difference.

I think this is a salutary warning not to try to use this DATV software on any new computers. At least I know I can throw the DATV kit into a drawer and forget all about it for the time being ...

Thank you so much for your help advice and especially patience!

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Thu Aug 15, 2019 7:57 pm

You still have the old PC working. It doesn't need a lot of CPU to run.

Mike

G4NRT

Post by G4NRT » Thu Aug 15, 2019 8:03 pm

The old PC is moving to my other QTH (Z21NRT) which is why I bought a new one. Little knowing about bloody Microsoft and their unilateral decisions to do things like this!!

Return to “The MiniTiouner and MiniTioune Digital Receive Software”