Use of the NVIDIA Jetson Nano for DATV

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
OE3GBB

Re: Use of the NVIDIA Jetson Nano for DATV

Post by OE3GBB » Tue Jul 16, 2019 7:34 am

Hello,
I have installed DVBSDR according the guideline in BATC Jetson Nano Wiki, but got a list of warnings. The TX script seems to run.
Before I proceed with connecting the Jetson Nano to Portsdown and LimeSDR I would like to know if those warnings are serious and I should work on them first.
73's
Gerhard OE3GBB

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Tue Jul 16, 2019 10:28 am

Hi Gerhard

Although initially a mumber of OMs copied my instructions and they worked perfectly, I have heard a few weeks later that people have had problems, probably due to shared libraries being updated. However, unlike the Portsdown, I don't monitor for problems with this build as there are not enough hours in the day. These instructions are not part of the "supported" Portsdown build.

It's difficult to help you without knowing what the error messages were.

Dave, G8GKQ

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Thu Jul 18, 2019 9:30 am

Gerhard

If the warnings included

Code: Select all

limesdr_dvb.cpp:643:2: sorry, unimplemented: non-trivial designated initializers not supported
then you need to download the latest copy of limesdr_dvb.cpp from GitHub and recompile. This problem has just been corrected.

Dave, G8GKQ

M0SKM

Post by M0SKM » Sat Aug 03, 2019 8:59 pm

During the week I ran up my QO-100 kit for a test at 66k/s; all was well and I switched off to await G4CPE who was going to assist. About two hours later I powered the system to find no video being encoded; no RF power loss just no pictures using H264 or 265 via the network. My Pi camera which plugs directly into the Jetson still functioned normally.

It wasn't until today I had a chance to check the components.
I'm using vMix on a laptop with HDMI out to an LKV373; this sends UDP through a small dedicated network to my Jetson Nano, Portsdown controls the Nano inputs and outputs.

After a process of elimination it looked like my Jetson was heading back to Nvidea. Then I wondered about that connector which links the two boards; J2 a SODIMM connector, I'd had problems with these in a laptop where they are used to mount memory cards. So as not to invalidate the warranty I decided just to dismount the sub board and then ensure it was pushed fully home.

Much to my delight it did the trick and I'm back in business.

73 Steve
Find me on D Star through GB7BP

G4WIM

Post by G4WIM » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:33 pm

Hi Steve,

that's exactly the problem I had with the same set up except I use OBS rather than Vmix.

I still suffer from the same problem occasionally but find that by running the jetson_nano script with Videosource_IP and turning off the resolution calc (ie telling the script 1920x1080 resolution) the system starts to work at which point the RPI can take over control and all is usually fine.

I will try your solution and see if it makes my system more stable. I have my Jetson in a little metal box and cooling fan on top.

Thanks for the tip !

Regards Tim

M0SKM

Post by M0SKM » Mon Aug 05, 2019 2:56 pm

Hi Tim,

When I posted this up I thought it unlikely anyone else would have a similar problem. It's still working fine and still a mystery, possibly just a tarnished contact. Good luck it's worth a try.

Yes mine's in a box because I nearly killed it off tripping over a wire; I use this one; it's bomb proof.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

73 Steve
Find me on D Star through GB7BP

G4WIM

Post by G4WIM » Mon Aug 05, 2019 6:00 pm

I have mine in the same box with the recommended fan and it's surprising how often the fan runs but how quiet it is !

Next time my system plays up I'll definitely put the nano under a microscope.

G4WIM

Post by G4WIM » Wed Aug 07, 2019 10:55 am

Just had the no video problem occur again - so I did as you did and it seemed to have cleared the problem but it might have been a coincidence so will see how things go over the coming days / weeks.

Regards Tim

on8ge

Post by on8ge » Sun Aug 11, 2019 6:26 am

Hello,

Is anybody use the DVBSDR on the Jetson to stream info to Adalm Pluto ?
I tried here but no way... Just setting the Freq OUT, choosing IP as output and write the ip of the Pluto will be enough ?

Thanks,

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Sun Aug 11, 2019 7:40 am

DVBSDR does not work with the ADALM-PLUTO.
Portsdown does not work with the ADALM-PLUTO.

There are programs that do, DATV Express and there is firmware, e.g. Plutoweb that you can load to the Pluto that can send and receive DATV, but not anything to do with BATC. See here:

https://github.com/LamaBleu/Pluto-DATV-test

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/new-custom-firm ... installed/

https://www.rtl-sdr.com/plutoweb-custom ... he-device/

Can we add this to the Wiki as this must be at least the 5th time someone has asked.

Mike

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”