2.4GHz PA - A warning and a plea

Digital ATV - The latest generation, cutting edge ATV - Please discuss it all here.
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
G3YQC

2.4GHz PA - A warning and a plea

Post by G3YQC » Wed Jul 17, 2019 5:12 pm

First a word of caution. Twelve weeks ago I ordered and paid for a 2.4GHz linear amplifier for DATV into QO-100 satellite from Dirk Fischer Elektronik (DK2FD) in Germany. I am still awaiting my order despite receiving four promises of dispatch. I am in total despair now and will probably cancel in the next very few days. Whether I will receive a refund has yet to be determined. What can one do at this distance? I put this information out to advise of my experience dealing with this company in the hope that it will prevent others from having similar problems.

I still need a PA! I could build one but I don’t know of any modern designs and PC boards for 2.4GHz amps in excess of 100W, even then I don’t have a power meter for setting up. Does anyone know of a commercial source of such amplifiers please or can offer any other suggestions? My DATV TX has otherwise been ready to go for 8 weeks so extreme frustration here!

Best 73 John G3YQC

G3GJA

Re: 2.4GHz PA - A warning and a plea

Post by G3GJA » Wed Jul 17, 2019 11:16 pm

John

Your experience is not very different from mine having ordered a 90w 13cm PA from Bert PE1RKI in March this year. It finally arrived last week following two chase emails, some 15 weeks after ordering. I think that the suppliers of these 13cm PAs have been overwhelmed by the demand created by QO-100. I'll probably do a review for CQ-TV when I've got it housed and heatsinked.

To be fair to Bert, he is not running his operation as a business and like other amateurs he does have a life outside amateur radio which sometimes gets in the way of the hobby; he had apparently some renovation work going on at his home which didn't help.

However, DFE has a much wider range and comparatively higher prices so I would expect a better service than you have received from them.

If you do get your money refunded have a look at PE1RKI.com although you'll inevitably go to the back of the queue again!

Clive G3GJA / G8EQZ

G3YQC

Re: 2.4GHz PA - A warning and a plea

Post by G3YQC » Thu Jul 18, 2019 6:01 pm

Hi Clive, thanks for that. Yes, our experiences are certainly similar and I well understand the 'one-man' situations but, a quick e-mail advising a delay would have been helpful, not a string of broken promises - ah well.

Believe it or not the amplifier actually arrived today !!! talk about coincidence. Anyway I'm in the middle of installing it now so hope to be on in a couple of days. Thanks again for your reply which may also be useful to others.

Best 73, John G3YQC

Return to “DATV - Digital ATV”