MiniTiouner global performance - refresh time

Discussion about the MiniTiouner board and the MiniTiouner Digital ATV Receive Software. See also http://www.vivadatv.org/index.php
F6DZP

MiniTiouner global performance - refresh time

Post by F6DZP » Fri May 17, 2019 5:20 pm

Hello,

I have seen some good question about MiniTiouner I2C performance that we can measure using "TestMyMiniTiouner" software.
The I2C performance depends of the design of the MiniTiouner and the USB port used on your PC.
a) if you test a MiniTiounerV1, a MiniTiounerV1, a MiniTiounerPro, you will see also differences.
b) if you change the USB port on the same PC you can see differences, if you change the PC you can see differences...

99% or 100% is the current value we can have using a MiniTiounerPro. A MiniTiouner V2 gives a lower result, I have tried to find why, changing the power supply, the VK200 filters, adding capacitor on the power lines, nothing changed. I think it is the I2C lines that have more noise, perhaps a Low value of some pico capacitor on one of the 2 I2C lines could change something? I have not yet tried.

The overall performance for rendering the measurement ( graphic, constellation, vu meters ...) are now shown directly on MiniTioune Measurement Panel at bottom right : this is the refresh time.
refresh time.jpg
refresh time.jpg (54.52 KiB) Viewed 4186 times
the refresh time is the time spent between 2 displays of all measurements ( vu meter, constellations, oscilloscope, derotator scan..)
in the perfect world, this time should be 100ms.( the time I ask fo the measurement loop clock)

Using a MiniTiounerPro with my old desktop PC, receiving and decoding a SR250 signal, I have a result between 220ms and 240 ms using a MiniTiounerV2, I have a result of 115ms to 120 ms using a MiniTiouner Pro.
Using a recent laptop or my new desktop the refresh time is 105 to 110 ms with a MiniTiounerPro.

this refresh time doesn't affect the video or locking/receiving capacity if it is not too high, but for a good comfort it should be "reasonable" to have it under 300ms.

using a Pipo or a Shuwi 10" Tablet I have a refresh time of about 180 ms to 190 ms (using a MiniTiounerPro).

Jean-Pierre F6DZP
Last edited by F6DZP on Fri May 17, 2019 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

g0mjw

Re: MiniTiouner global performance - refresh time

Post by g0mjw » Fri May 17, 2019 6:36 pm

Interesting. I have three units here, one scored 75%, one 68%, the other 40%. The best is a V2 prototype on the old PCB, then the first V2 with no LNA, then the V2 with the the OLED and LNA. The PCB was not designed with high speed I2C performance in mind, it could have been had that been a requirement. Clock and Data take different routes and are not transmission lines. There are several vias and potential to pick up noise.

Mike

G4GUO

Post by G4GUO » Sat May 18, 2019 9:10 am

FWIW I just tested 30 Minitiouner-Express units and I get values between 60% and 88%
These units are assembled by a robot so should be identical.

- Charles

2W0ODS

Post by 2W0ODS » Sat May 18, 2019 8:39 pm

g0mjw wrote:
Fri May 17, 2019 6:36 pm
Interesting. I have three units here, one scored 75%, one 68%, the other 40%. The best is a V2 prototype on the old PCB, then the first V2 with no LNA, then the V2 with the the OLED and LNA. The PCB was not designed with high speed I2C performance in mind, it could have been had that been a requirement. Clock and Data take different routes and are not transmission lines. There are several vias and potential to pick up noise.

Mike
Have you run the test with the OLED disconnected, would be interesting to see if that makes any difference.

F6DZP

Post by F6DZP » Mon May 20, 2019 9:15 am

yes, with or without OLED should show a difference.

Jean-Pierre F6DZP

Return to “The MiniTiouner and MiniTioune Digital Receive Software”