serit tuners ?

Discussion about the MiniTiouner board and the MiniTiouner Digital ATV Receive Software. See also http://www.vivadatv.org/index.php
m1cdq

serit tuners ?

Post by m1cdq » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:05 pm

Im just wondering the hardware are the tuners we use are used in. as its upcoming car boot season. just wondering if its worth keeping an eye out for certain digital sat tuners that may have them in

g0mjw

Re: serit tuners ?

Post by g0mjw » Mon Mar 04, 2019 6:09 pm

None. Well, none we know of.

The BATC price is good value.

Mike

m1cdq

Post by m1cdq » Mon Mar 04, 2019 8:53 pm

I know the batc is good value. but Im surprised we don't know where there are used
there have to be making them for someone. which manufacture was using them before we came along and went wow these will make great ATV receivers. are they used in sky q boxes for example or one of the many different makes of multi sat receivers.

g8gtz

Post by g8gtz » Mon Mar 04, 2019 10:58 pm

The Serit NIM was choosen by F6DZP because it used a certain chipset, as did the Eardertek and Sharp NIMs before it, which allows him to program invidual registers and he has spent all the development effort in the MiniTioune software to optimise this for low SR performance.

Finding a STB using those tuners will be of little value as the firmware / software in the box is very unlikely to allow you to set it up to recieve low SR signals and judging by our efforts at removing the muli-pinned tuners from the BATC PCB, it is unlikely you will be successful at recovering the tuners out of any units.

Noel - G8GTZ

VK5YYY

Post by VK5YYY » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:29 pm

I bought a Dexing DVB-S2 IRD Commercial receiver a few months ago from Ebay for about 200 pounds
http://english.dsdvb.com/news.php?modul ... 103&id=109
It's got a cute little colour 2" TV screen, web interface all the bells and whistles
Being unable to control myself I popped the lid off
To my surprise it had a Serit tuner in it, similar number to MiniTiouner
Therefore, one place to find them might be modern commercial equipment
Cost somewhere around 1000 Pounds new
I sell sat boxes and that's my first encounter with a Serit (except my new toy that arrived today...thanks Art!)

Cheers Roger VK5YYY

m1cdq

Post by m1cdq » Tue Mar 05, 2019 1:58 pm

they have to be out in the wild somewhere. tooked away in some sat receiver . though you may not use the receiver but it will be useful for parts

F6DZP

Post by F6DZP » Wed Mar 06, 2019 5:44 am

Hello,

this Serit NIM has 2 specificity that you will not find

1) the Demodulator chip is an "advanced" version specific to professional receivers
(like Dektec DTA2137C cost >2000£ )
I think that you will never find this chip on standard satellite receivers/ set top boxes, most of advanced features are not useful for standard TV sat receiving.

2) I have asked to Serit to add inside the NIM a LNA that was not included in the original version they were selling.
They told me that at this date, none of their clients have asked for an additional LNA, but as they have this LNA chip in stock, they could do the modification.

Jean-Pierre F6DZP

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Wed Mar 06, 2019 9:23 am

I am wondering about that LNA. Very good for terrestrial but on satellite with all the very strong signals for broadcast and LNB gain, we might find some intermods generated. That might be why some have difficulty receiving BADR. Seems fine at 10.5 GHz but I suppose it would be hard to tell.

Mike

F6DZP

Post by F6DZP » Wed Mar 06, 2019 6:54 pm

No, it is not a problem if you observe the LNA gain. The best is to have 13dB gain.
This LNA has an AGC so if the signal is too much high, its gain goes down and at the end it acts as an attenuator.
If you see that your LNA gain is less than 3dB or negative (=attenuator), you know that your input signal is too high.

So, Just to observe the LNA gain to know what could be bad on this side.

(Near the LNA gain, I have added an emoticon :( in the version 0.9 to give more advertising about the Input signal when it is too high)

This LNA chip is used by ST Micro in their Professional Demo PCB.

Jean-Pierre F6DZP

g4bbh

Post by g4bbh » Fri Mar 22, 2019 9:39 am

I am just building a Minitouner v2.0 board for a serit tuner (when they are in stock). Is there a problem using a 40 pin PCB header or must the tuner be soldered in. I realise this will increase the overall hight.
Dick g4bbh

Return to “The MiniTiouner and MiniTioune Digital Receive Software”