Portsdown Stretch 2019 Software

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
G8GKQ
Site Admin

Portsdown Stretch 2019 Software

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:34 pm

Starting a new topic, because the Portsdown software has changed so much in the last year. Whilst support for the old filter-modulator board will be retained, the focus is now on supporting the LimeSDR and also taking advantage of the 7 inch screen where possible. Noel and I are re-writing the Wiki to reflect this. Start here: https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Portsdown_2019

Portsdown software 201902072 (just released) supports both the 7 inch screen and the 3.5 inch screen with no need to set the display type beforehand. It also provides the tools to check your LimeSDR Mini and to load the correct firmware and gateware for the Portsdown no matter what was loaded on the LimeSDR Mini beforehand. See "Lime Config" on Menu 3.

Additionally, it includes the facility to back-up and restore your Portsdown configuration from either a USB stick, or the /boot partition of your SD Card. You can invert the 7 inch display (for the older housings) and enable the hardware shutdown button from the "System Config" menu on Menu 3.

The C920 should now happily co-exist with a Pi Camera, and it is possible (at the expense of some occasional audio clicks) to set the RPi so that you can transmit using the Filter-Modulator board after using the RPi audio output. See the "force pwm open = ?" button on the System Config menu.

Whilst there are number of minor bugs and additional features that I would like to sort out, the 2 things that I will now concentrate on are curing the partial test card display in H264 with DATV Express, and increasing the available symbol rate in MPEG-2 with the Lime SDR Mini.

Full additional feature list for 201902072:

Code: Select all

Automatic driver switch and reboot for 7 inch screen
C920 driver load after boot (can now co-exist with Pi Cam)
Reboot and Rotate function for 7 inch screen
Hardware ShutDown Button can be enabled from touch screen
Save to USB updated and available from touchscreen
Save settings to /boot added
Lime selection from Console
Lime Test Report from Touchscreen
Force Lime FW update added to touchscreen
Toggle force_pwm_open facility to enable TX after sound use
USB sync not disabled on initial install
Fix for KeyedTX bug
Please upgrade and play and GET ON THE AIR - Activity Weekend 9/10 February!

Dave, G8GKQ

g0mjw

Re: Portsdown Stretch 2019 Software

Post by g0mjw » Tue Feb 05, 2019 7:30 am

Great work Dave - hopefully you will demo at Harwell this weekend.

Mike

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Tue Feb 05, 2019 12:56 pm

Mine is saying I have the latest version : 201811031?? Github being a bit flakey ATM too....
Gareth

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:12 pm

Gareth - that will be because your card was built using the old Raspbian Jessie operating system and, for you to take advantage of any new features, needs to be rebuilt using Raspbian Stretch.

This planned migration to Raspbian Stretch was first announced at CAT 17 and end-of-updates for the old build was announced here: viewtopic.php?f=103&t=4778&start=220#p16759.

You have 3 options:
  • Retain your current capabilities without any upgrades forever
  • Rebuild your card with Raspbian Stretch as described here: https://github.com/BritishAmateurTelevi ... ch-version
  • Buy a new Card from the BATC Shop. If you then send me back your old card, I'll rebuild it as well and return it to you as a spare
Dave

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Tue Feb 05, 2019 2:51 pm

Thanks Dave, Card rebuild underway. No idea what I did last time other than clearly copy the wrong image onto my SD card. This time its taking much longer to write but its definitely the Stretch-lite version.
I worry about myself sometimes ;-)
EDIT** This was my old rpi3 screen-only PD that I was testing. My boxed PD has the new stretch and is obligingly updating now to the latest version. **End

Gareth

dl6rcg

Post by dl6rcg » Wed Feb 20, 2019 7:16 pm

Hello all,

made an update to version "Stretch 201902072".
After connecting a push button and a led to the GPIO extender card connector J06. Then I have activated as described the shutdown button via the menu. The led is on but by pressing the button nothing is happening. Any idea why it does not work? My wiring is correct.

When I deactivate the shutdown button the led is still on. Software bug?

73 de Tom, DL6RCG

F4DVK

Post by F4DVK » Wed Feb 20, 2019 9:37 pm

Hello,

This function works for me.

After enabling or disabling this feature, you must restart the raspberry.
It is necessary to apply + 3.3v on the gpio to shutdown the raspberry.

Stephane.

dl6rcg

Post by dl6rcg » Thu Feb 21, 2019 6:27 am

Hello Stephane,

I did the restart, voltage +3,3V is ok. I measured +3,3V at the SD button input when I press the button, but unfortunately no reaction of the raspi.
It doesn't work ... neither by activation via menu nor via console ... :(

73 Tom

G1BVI

Post by G1BVI » Thu Feb 21, 2019 11:21 am

Hi Tom

made an update to version "Stretch 201902072".

So assuming from this that it worked before the update, and that it does not shut down from the console but did before the update I would suggest that you try and force another update as it sounds like something has glitched in the update process.

Nick

dl6rcg

Post by dl6rcg » Thu Feb 21, 2019 5:11 pm

Hi Nick,

before this update I haven't connected the shutdown button and led. So I can not say if it has worked before.
This evening I will install the portsdown software on another µSD-Card to find out if it will work. Perhaps something went wrong with the update.

73 de Tom, DL6RCG

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”