djrm, new to BATC

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
djrm

djrm, new to BATC

Post by djrm » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:48 pm

Greetings everybody,
I've bee a member of the group for just afew weeks now having seen the club stand at the Newark rally.
I have recentley become interested in TV electronics again, picking it up after a break of a few years by buying an old EkCo Tv for restoration earlier in the year. I was intrigued by the portsdown project and other activities of the club so joined there and then. I'have been experimenting with digital TV signal generation using various methods including hackRF and analoge generators. I have now got the makings of a portsdown system working, for the time being this is restricted to wired connection to a satellite receiver, this could change in the future ...
Kind regaards, David.
near Malton, North Yorkshire.

M0DTS

Re: djrm, new to BATC

Post by M0DTS » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:23 pm

Hi David,

Hope to hear/see you on the bands soon!

I'm often portable on the Moors so any time you would like to have a chat or stop by when i'm out you are very welcome.
I usually announce on the forum when i will be out and about, unfortunately from home here i doubt we will have much success, those hills are a pain at times!

Rob
M0DTS

djrm

Post by djrm » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:41 pm

Hi Rob,
I take it you are fairly local to me here then, in the moors?
I'd like to meet when you are out and about, I'll keep watch for your announcement.
I' fairly isolated here radio wise as far as i can tell. Havn't heard anything local on VHF.
Many years ago I could receive some RTTY packet stations but I'm not sure if they are active now.
The future is TV anyway ...
Kind regards, David.

M0DTS

Post by M0DTS » Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:47 pm

I like that, The Future is TV :-)

At home i'm just south of Middlesbrough.
I usually go to Blakey Ridge or Danby Head when i'm out portable.

A couple of active TV stations you should keep a look out for on 2m:
G4NKV nr Whitby
M0IKB at Scarborough
G8VAT has been portable on the wolds, and a few stations around Barnsley/Sheffield
There is another station nr Driffield but cant remember his call now...maybe he can announce on here!

There are a few of us around Teesside/Durham, we use GB3KM batc stream for chat etc.

Rob

djrm

Post by djrm » Wed Nov 07, 2018 11:02 pm

Hi Rob,
I'm not expecting to receive much here stuck in the valley between the moors and wolds, cant even see far towards Scarborough from here. I'm installing a dish to try and receive the Es’hail-2 satellite, the alternative would be a beam on the roof perhaps.
kind regards, David.

G3GJA

Post by G3GJA » Sun Nov 11, 2018 10:12 pm

Hi David

There's soon to be an ATV repeater on 23cm located at Cave Wold about 9 miles WNW of Hull. GB3EY is being re-engineered to run DVB-S on 1308MHz

There are a lot of people building to get back on ATV not too far from Malton; here's a (not comprehensive) list:

G3GJA West Hull
G4YTV Skirlaugh
G0AZQ Nafferton
G1ASR Skipsea
G4WCD West Hull
G8VAT Eggborough
There's also a couple in York whose callsigns I can't recall.

Clive G3GJA

djrm

Post by djrm » Sun Nov 11, 2018 11:42 pm

Hi Clive,
Thanks for the update information.

I'm about to start building a receiver. Also, I bought and fitted a 120cm dish this weekend, in prepertion for the Es-hail2, so far it is only pointed at Astra, I'm enjoying NHK again - I havnt had a dish since we moved here some years ago.

Driving around reentley I've been noticing plaes wich have a good distant view, I may have to setup a portable receiver and see what I can find.

I remember seeing some software which will draw an elevation profle between two points, could anybody reccomed someting like this suitable for earial line of sigt checking?

Kind regards, David.

g7jfi

Post by g7jfi » Thu Nov 15, 2018 10:13 am

Hi David,

This website is quite handy I find for looking to see if a path exists.

https://www.solwise.co.uk/wireless-elevationtool.html

Best regards
Terry G7JFI

djrm

Post by djrm » Thu Nov 15, 2018 1:39 pm

Very useful Terry, thank you.

Return to “General ATV Discussion”