Portsdown 2018 Stretch Software News

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
g0mjw

Re: Portsdown 2018 Stretch Software News

Post by g0mjw » Sun May 20, 2018 1:15 pm

There seems to be a problem with the 7" touch screen and the frequency display option. When you come to set the frequency the buttons are not aligned with the touch screen.

Mike

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sun May 20, 2018 7:55 pm

Hi Mike

I take it that this is the problem that you are describing: https://wiki.batc.org.uk/FreqShow#FreqS ... nch_Screen

It is caused by an incompatibility between PyGame (the Python gaming library used by FreqShow) and the multitouch driver for the 7" screen. I have spent hours trying to make it work. I had a choice of disabling the functionality all together, or including it in "Cursor and trackpad" mode, which is what I chose to do.

You're welcome to try to find the solution and I will happily incorporate it if you can.

Dave

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Sun May 20, 2018 8:19 pm

Ah. I see quite a few people have this - e.g. https://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/view ... p?t=131889
and https://forums.adafruit.com/viewtopic.p ... 8&start=30

At least there is a solution.

Mike

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sun May 20, 2018 8:30 pm

Hi Mike

Please could you try the new solution to see if it works? The second link seems to be talking about a different screen.

Thanks

Dave

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:26 am

New Portsdown 2018 Stretch Software Release 201807040

This release adds peripheral features and minor enhancements. Most important are the independent LeanSDR receiver settings menu https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Lean_DVB_receiver and the ability to generate a Receive local oscillator for a 71 MHz receive up-converter https://wiki.batc.org.uk/RX_Up-converter_LO_Capability. Full listing of changes:

New receive menu to allow independent selection of DATV receive parameters
MPEG-2 DATV receive capability after purchase and installation of key
Programmable ADF4351 output during receive for upconverters
Direct transmit frequency entry from frequency selection menu
New "clear" key on keyboard to clear entry line
USB disk automount enabled by default in Raspbian Stretch
10-character locator used as basis for locator change
Old BATC Streamer removed from output menu.

Dave

M0SKM

Post by M0SKM » Sat Jul 07, 2018 9:46 am

There seems to be an issue with the BATC streamer menu text; it overflows both sides of the button.

Steve
Find me on D Star through GB7BP

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sat Jul 07, 2018 10:25 am

Thanks Steve

I hadn't spotted that. Cosmetic only (I hope), so I will fix in the next release. Added to the bug list!

Dave

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:32 pm

New Portsdown Stretch Software Release 201807090

I have just released a some significant improvements to the configuration of the LeanDVB Receive software in the Portsdown. Using an RTL-SDR, it will now receive strong DATV signals throughout the full frequency range of the RTL-SDR (including 71 MHz without a converter) at symbol rates from 66 KS up to 2MS. At Symbol Rates of 1MS and above the Constellation and Parameter overlays should be turned off to conserve CPU resources for the receive decoder. On deselection of receive, the system occasionally locks-up and needs a reboot, but I have managed to reduce the likelihood of this happening from previous software versions. Clearly, smoothest results are obtained using a video monitor (not HDMI) plugged into the RPi or the Element 14 7 inch screen.

Full release contents:
  • LeanDVB Performance Improvements
  • Bugfix BATC Streamer label
  • Bugfix LeanDVB Preset storage
  • Prep for LimeSDR USB
Dave, G8GKQ

M0YDH

Post by M0YDH » Wed Jul 11, 2018 11:52 am

Hi Dave
I began an update of my Stretch card in the Portsdown last night. It was connected by cable to LAN. Power was a 3S LiPo because I was in the house to get full strength internet. I noticed an hour later that it hadn't progressed further than 4 out 10 fourth X. To save the £40 battery I had to turn off the Portsdown. It's cheaper to redo the software! All the updates to date have been brisk 10 minute tasks. I hope no-one else has the same problem. Note to self - do save the settings to a USB memory stick per one of the menu settings.

David M0YDH

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:55 pm

I am just updating now. It has got to stage 4 almost instantly. I will see how long it takes for me.

Dave - Can you provide some feedback for the touch screen button press as at the moment I think it goes off to check and that can take several seconds so it's not clear the button event has been registered.

Mike

So it locked up and lost access to WiFi or the other way around perhap. On connecting Ethernet and logging in I see:

Webcam device name is none
Video capture device name is $f▒v
No Touchscreen found: No such file or directory

Using the menu I can get back the ncurses screen and then update using the console which is a lot more informative (maybe this could happen on the touch screen?)

The problem was in dpkg. It advises running 'sudo dpkg --configure -a to fix it. I have done this and re-started the upgrade. I think it just takes a long long time.
Last edited by g0mjw on Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:16 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”