Transitioning to new streamer

Area for discussing streaming over the Internet, especially as it relates to ATV
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
G4WIM

Transitioning to new streamer

Post by G4WIM » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:03 pm

Hi,

I have latest image on my rpi and I'm attempting to set up the new streamer for gb3ft and I have the new credentials etc, but when I follow this guide :

https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Configuring_your_channel

and start / reboot the constant streamer nothing appears on the streamer website plus I get this in the terminal:

Starting stream
after crashing in the hour after 07 o'clock

or sometimes this

Starting stream
after crashing in the hour after 08 o'clock

I also note that when I do the below it then asks me for the stream key again

Enter your stream name (callsign) in lower case, followed by a hyphen and then the 6 character stream key. For example g8gkq-abcxyz
Press enter to get back to the main menu.

So I've tried entering just the callsign with no hyphen key and then entered the key when it asks for it - still no joy.

Any pointers as to what I've done wrong ?

I have selected streamer in output type but also tried stream to batc.tv as I wasn't sure which to use !

Could it be that the original streamer which is still on line is causing problems ?

Do I need to open any ports on my firewall ?

Regards Tim

G4WIM

Re: Transitioning to new streamer

Post by G4WIM » Thu Jun 07, 2018 12:42 pm

So just for kicks I did a complete rebuild from the ground up using the new jessie lite stretch as a starting point.

All seemed to go ok, but still got the same errors when attempting to run the streamer - clearly I'm missing something here :-)

Any ideas as to what I maybe doing wrong ?

73 Tim

g8vpg

Post by g8vpg » Thu Jun 07, 2018 4:11 pm

On the same subject, but a different question, would a Portsdown SD card bought at the Harwell rally in February this year be sufficiently up to date to have the new streamer capability included? This is for GB3ZZ.
73 Shaun G8VPG.

g0lgj

Post by g0lgj » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:15 pm

Hi silly question are you looking at your new stream at

https://batc.org.uk/live/

Regards Mark G0LGJ

G4WIM

Post by G4WIM » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:39 pm

Hi Mark,

yep - looking at the new streaming site and I get the same problem with both GB3FT and my callsign G4WIM.

I'm trying to stream HTML5 but may give Flash a try later.

I've also just built the development version and get the same results - so either my credentials are wrong or I'm doi ng something wrong or even possibly both !

Shaun,

the image you have could be updated on line to the latest version if it needs it - or you could build your own image as the instructions are very clear and easy to follow in the wiki.

73 Tim

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:42 am

I was perplexed that so many of you seemed to be having issues setting up the streaming, so I checked the Wiki page and of course it was out of date!

I have revised the Wiki page: https://wiki.batc.org.uk/Streaming_to_b ... spberry_Pi which now gives step-by-step instructions to setting up the Portsdown to stream with the new streamer.

Notes:
  • You MUST have the latest software version, so update before you do anything else
  • You MUST follow the Portsdown build and streamer set up instructions EXACTLY
  • The only video sources that work for streaming are PiCam, EasyCap and Static Test Card
  • You cannot stream from the Portsdown in HD reliably. However 576p 16:9 does work
  • You should test the stream in manually switched mode before trying any of the boot-up (automatic) modes
  • Don't forget to enable your stream on your Account Dashboard on the BATC Website
Dave

G4WIM

Post by G4WIM » Fri Jun 08, 2018 8:54 am

Thanks Dave,

I'll start over again and follow the new instructions, will report back with my findings !

73 Tim

G4WIM

Post by G4WIM » Fri Jun 08, 2018 6:26 pm

Just to confirm - following the correct instructions has resulted in one happy camper - thanks for the guidance Dave !

Regards Tim

g8vpg

Post by g8vpg » Sat Jun 09, 2018 3:06 pm

Thanks to the new instructions, I have been able to migrate the GB3ZZ streamer onto the new site with no difficulty. I was quite impressed that it updated itself whilst still streaming to the old site until it rebooted itself. It will be re-installed into the repeater very shortly.
73 Shaun G8VPG.

Return to “Streaming”