Norfolk to Yorkshire - May 9th and 10th

Please post here if you are planning any significant ATV Activity such as DXpeditions or Contest participation
M0DTS

Re: Norfolk to Yorkshire - May 9th and 10th

Post by M0DTS » Sat May 12, 2018 12:51 pm

The North Sunderland site car park does not have visibility to the sea from the parking spots, no good for me but others would be ok with more portable setups.
There are a couple of spots around Boulmer that are right on the sea so much easier access/visibility as long as they are not occupied.

Could be quite interesting to try that one.

Rob

G8JAN

Post by G8JAN » Sun May 13, 2018 8:58 am

Obviously I've never been to that location but the car park at Benthall over looks the beach. Street view shows the view is a little obstructed but there are what look like mini dunes where it looks like equipment could be set up. However local knowledge is better than looking on Google Earth! :) :)

Benthal beach.jpg
Benthal beach.jpg (84.09 KiB) Viewed 5417 times

G8JAN

Post by G8JAN » Sun May 13, 2018 9:22 am

g0mjw wrote:
Sat May 12, 2018 10:58 am
G1LPS Terry wrote:
Fri May 11, 2018 7:34 pm
I'm local to the Sunderland area Peter.
The only Benthall I can think of is north of Sunderland in Northumberland OS grid reference NU237287
Thats 345km. Do you have the grid reference?

Terry
You are looking at the wrong panel - we are assuming this is a ducting path, not the 50% of time path. You can see from the mechanisms panel that ducting will dominate and you can guess this from the zone map as its a sea path skirting a coastal zone.

1.jpg

2.GIF

Try putting in a more realistic time percentage, say 10% or less and you will get a path loss estimate much closer to line of sight.

In other words, it looks entirely feasible given the right conditions.
Given the right conditions is the key. The path looks good but it would need the right sea and weather conditions along the whole path. The problem is how can they be predicted? Last Wednesday we saw the duct building at the Norfolk end as did the guys at the Bridlington end. So just mulling things over as I type this I think we would need people halfway along the path with realtime conditions reports. I also think we would need some input from Jim G3YLA.

G1LPS Terry

Post by G1LPS Terry » Sun May 13, 2018 7:46 pm

Im off work in a couple of weeks (school half term).
Planning to take a trip to Benthall and check out potential operating locations. :)

G8JAN

Post by G8JAN » Mon May 14, 2018 9:05 am

G1LPS Terry wrote:
Sun May 13, 2018 7:46 pm
Im off work in a couple of weeks (school half term).
Planning to take a trip to Benthall and check out potential operating locations. :)
OK Terry thanks for that. Please bear with me, last Wednesday we were discussing the possibilities of a longer path north from our Norfolk location. I have to admit I've only been searching on Google earth and Benthall looked like a possible location. Our problem here is that Flamborough head basically gets in the way! I realise that Benthall may not be at all suitable both in terms of location and distance but it seems to be a clear path.
If we could get similar conditions with ducting as we did last Wednesday we might get a slight chance of success. They were truly remarkable! :o

G1LPS Terry

Post by G1LPS Terry » Sat Jun 16, 2018 9:55 pm

Finaly found time to report on Benthal.
The main carpark (number one on map)and beach are a tourist hot spot or at least was on my visits. Free parking a rarity these days.
The sand dunes are over grown and deep rutted pathways. over grown on the north side of the car park.
The beach is very flat and the sea shallow resulting in the sea coming in surprisingly fast .
The sea covers the beach completely to the dunes and also the rocky outcrops to the north of the harbor and old lime kilns.
At first I thought the site was very limited as to where I would consider operating from. But after exploring further and consulting google maps could see to the north of the beach had a long outcrop stretching into the sea known as Ebbs Nook. Once a medieval church stood near the end of the Nook. The foundations of this offer some shelter if windy (the square in the center of number 3). If operating there with a partner it would be best to be dropped off at 33 Harbour road next to the telephone box where there is a path up the side onto the nook. The person parking the car would have a short walk along the beach then up the side of the lime kilns and onto the nook. The area past the old church foundation (4 on the map) changes from grassed dune to flat sloping rock which a few angler frequent see pictures. Suitable in calm weather to set up but personally I would stick to the grassed area.
Ive shown the areas submerged under water with the orange line on the map. Given the right conditions a good location. ;)

Terry G1LPS
Attachments
portable location.jpg
portable location.jpg (277.59 KiB) Viewed 5221 times

G1LPS Terry

Post by G1LPS Terry » Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:03 pm

PICS
Attachments
NOOK
NOOK
IMG_2234.JPG (107.22 KiB) Viewed 5219 times
NOOK
NOOK
IMG_2233.JPG (96 KiB) Viewed 5219 times
PATH AT 33 HARBOR ROAD
PATH AT 33 HARBOR ROAD
IMG_2252.JPG (115.1 KiB) Viewed 5219 times
NOOK
NOOK
IMG_2230.JPG (132.05 KiB) Viewed 5219 times

G8JAN

Post by G8JAN » Fri Jun 22, 2018 8:49 am

Hi Terry sorry for not replying before now. I was away on holiday and then found I Couldn't access the Forum when I returned. Anyway Dave has helped me reset my password so I'm in again.
Many thanks for all your info on the Benthall site your proposed location looks like a much better bet than the car park I was thinking of. Pete G4NJJ and myself are willing to give it a try from Norfolk but the problem is arranging dates. We have about an hour and a half journey to our site and can be available on weekdays only. Rather than take pot luck we need to keep an eye on the weather forecast for the East coast to check the possibility of hitting a duct.
Please let me have your thoughts and idea's.

Pete

Return to “ATV Activity and Contest Discussions”