ATV on 6cms - It's Cheap and Easy on 5665MHz

Ideas, technical topics, help and discussion for ATV enthusiasts
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
g0rph

Re: ATV on 6cms - It's Cheap and Easy on 5665MHz

Post by g0rph » Tue Apr 10, 2018 8:43 pm

Another fun outing on Saturday! Bob (G4PDF) and I (G0RPH) took our stations to Normanby Top in Lincolshire where, assisted by Kevin (G3AAF), we both worked Gary (M1EGI) and Barry (G8AGN) at High Bradfield near Sheffield (83Km) with pictures P4/P5 both ways and one-way sound, and Rob (M0DTS) near Ampleforth in East Yorkshire (99Km) with P4 pictures and one-way sound. My sound channel was not receiving due to the plug being partially detached!

Gary and Barry were also able to work Rob (87Km) creating what may have been the first triangular QSO?

I'm looking forward to the next outing on 5.665GHz!

73 all, Richard (GØRPH)
Attachments
G8AGN2@Normanby.jpg
G8AGN2@Normanby.jpg (99.17 KiB) Viewed 3624 times

g0rph

Post by g0rph » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:47 am

Two of the pics disappeared from my last posting (maybe as a newbie, I did it wrong or exceeded the size limit?) Anyway here they are:

73, Richard (GØRPH)
M0DTS3@Normanby.jpg
M0DTS3@Normanby.jpg (36.65 KiB) Viewed 3601 times
The attachment M0DTS3@Normanby.jpg is no longer available

g0rph

Post by g0rph » Wed Apr 11, 2018 8:50 am

Still not cracked it!

Richard.
M1EGI3@Normanby.jpg
M1EGI3@Normanby.jpg (30.17 KiB) Viewed 3602 times

g8gtz

Re: ATV on 6cms - BATC awards for 5.6GHz contacts

Post by g8gtz » Mon Apr 16, 2018 3:51 pm

To encourage everyone with 6cms to be on the air and submit an entry during the ATV contest in June, BATC is awarding a £50 Amazon voucher to each station in the best UK DX 2 way contact during the contest.

Other BATC awards are also available - see viewtopic.php?t=5447&p=15413#p15413 for more details.

Noel - G8GTZ

g6urm

Post by g6urm » Mon Apr 23, 2018 3:07 pm

hi all - going to try this band - ordered some fpv bits - here tomorrow/ wed - so may be some activity in/from the Plymouth area io-70-wj - may be a few weeks as health precludes working as fast as I used to ( motivation a problem some days.lol ) - so apart from some guys in Cornwall apparently - anyone in Devon ?? - ( actually thought of getting 2 sets of kit - then I can talk to myself .lol - but lets see how the stuff ordered goes first ) :lol: :lol: :lol:
NO idea is too crazy so long as one fool believes they can make it work

g6urm

Post by g6urm » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:05 am

um been looking around for a suitable antenna - found this on flea bay : https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Antenna-Para ... SwnDxUfybs - any thoughts apart from expensive .lol - as eyesight / hands not so good for building these days - thought would go for a ready made solution

g8vpg

Post by g8vpg » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:38 am

Hello G6URM,
It looks like it will do the job. A lot of people use the flat plate type aerial. A few db less gain, but often seen at radio rallies for about £25. I am in the Bristol area and go out portable with my 5.6GHz gear to the Mendips and the mountains in South Wales so perhaps we might be able to work when your kit is finished? G4UVZ is near Taunton and several other stations often operate portable in southern England, so there will be plenty of people to work if you can get out on the moors near you.
73 Shaun G8VPG.

g6urm

Post by g6urm » Tue Apr 24, 2018 8:52 am

thanks - its a toss up actually - as the same firm does flat plates for abt £43 - so I could get 2 for not much more - as to rallys and antennas - well may be up country - but rare as unicorn poo down here - may have some better luck up at the flight refuelling rally - but that's not till august :( - in fact you rarely see anything more than white stick dual banders ( or hf stuff ) down this way - any ways no great urgency as my /p activity depends either on where I can get with a mobility scooter ( sea path from Plymouth to somewhere ?? ) - or relying on a friend to take me out for a day - I no longer drive you see - so its difficult to do any sort of /p work

but not all is lost it seems - interesting article here :http://www.df5ai.net/ArticlesDL/VK3KAQDucts2007V3.5.pdf and looking at the ref's - about " Hadley cells " I see the claimed dx record is a shade over 3000 k @ 5 ghz ...................... ah well we can dream :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

g8vpg

Post by g8vpg » Tue Apr 24, 2018 12:40 pm

OK OM,
Unless you live in a fantastic location, 5.6GHz is mostly a portable operation band. Keep us posted of your progress and I am sure that if you can get out, perhaps on an activity weekend, someone will make an effort to work you.
73 Shaun G8VPG.

g6urm

Post by g6urm » Tue Apr 24, 2018 3:12 pm

well first things first .lol - stuff arrived today - not had chance to play with it yet - I got the scanning rx so as I can look round - but ordered the wrong thing tx wise - it has a built in ant - arrrgh - any hoo ordered one with the sma connector - but this little beast ( and little is the word - wheres me strong glasses ?? ) will do for a test /demo tx - so not wasted - got a camera too which the cat is eyeing up - I must make sure she does not eat it .lol

anyways a start - the rx go's into a PC or phone - so that's up and working - just static atm of course - but it works - so I think first stage of project - some local "test " gear - then we will see about the longer range stuff

as to range - well that will be interesting to play with as I have mainly " obstructed paths " locally - but some good sea ones along the coast - however unless one trIES other paths ............... had the same sort of problem on 2 m many years ago ( I lived on Dartmoor then - great take off from 1500 ft asl ) but getting into Oakhampton from princetown was considered " impossible " - but nope point beam away from Oakhampton and signal there ok - any way to cut a long story short we found that by using a metal flag pole on the firing ranges you could "bounce " a signal in there - a PASSIVE REFLECTOR - BUT WHEN THE ARMY HAD THE POLE LOWERED - NO GO - so we must never dispare of contacts - even working a few miles can be fun - and I often wonder how many people said " that will never work " to the first guy to put a 10 ghz dish on his chimney ?? - or point a laser at a distant cloud base to see if he could work over the horizon ?? - that's one thing I still enjoy about amateur radio - EXPERIMENTING ""

HOWEVER finding someone to work ..................... there in lies the rub .lol

Return to “General ATV Discussion”