Me again, freesat issues

Click here to learn more about Amateur TV and the BATC
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
M0YAA

Me again, freesat issues

Post by M0YAA » Sat Jul 15, 2017 8:31 pm

I picked up a cheap Bush Freesat unit, a BFSAT01HD. Has anyone used one of these before? So far it's asking me for a postcode to scan for a satellite dish that doesn't exist. I also have about 15v on the antenna lead. I can't see a way to disable the voltage or get around the postcode question.

Anyone any ideas?

TIA

g8vpg

Re: Me again, freesat issues

Post by g8vpg » Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:10 pm

You will need to buy an F type dc blocker adapter to stop the Lnb voltage from going up the co-ax, although this is really only an issue if you are going to use an aerial which is short circuit to dc. It can be useful to power a pre-amp. You will have to play along with the postcode business, it is all part of the freesat epg trying to find where you are so that it installs the correct regional programmes. With no lnb, it will probably say no channels found or similar. You then need to find the menu item to add non-freesat channels. If it can't do this, it will be no good for amateur use.
73 Shaun.

M0YAA

Post by M0YAA » Sun Jul 16, 2017 9:36 pm

thanks Shaun, the antenna will create a dead short to DC hence the need to disable it. I shall continue to play with it.

g7vnpkevin

Re: freesat what box for digtal tv can i use

Post by g7vnpkevin » Mon Sep 25, 2017 11:30 am

Hi all what digital set top box can i use for ham digital tv as a receiver as not to far from gb3pv in Cambridgeshire and would like to try

Wolfie G8VAT

Post by Wolfie G8VAT » Tue Sep 26, 2017 12:02 pm

All the Comag receivers seem to get good reports and you can buy an entire portable setup in a little briefcase for just over £20...
:
Dah-di-dah
:
Graham G8VAT

Return to “Getting Started?”