Transmitter Software Capabilities and Issues (Jessie)

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
g0mjw

Re: Transmitter Software Capabilities and Issues

Post by g0mjw » Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:05 am

Hi Dave,

Thanks - maybe just two rates, one for those on FTTC and the other for those on ADSL !

Mike

M5TXJ

Post by M5TXJ » Thu Sep 07, 2017 5:12 pm

Not sure if I've found a bug or I've corrupted something? In contest mode when you return to receive the screen returns to the menu but the TX led remains lit. I haven't checked on my Minitiouner to see if it is still TXing, that's my next step.

(edit) only happens occasionally??

73 Dave.
...are you sure I can't use a pair of 813's?... :shock:

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Thu Oct 12, 2017 5:05 pm

New Software Release

I've just issued a new release 201710081. It introduces more RTL-SDR functionality and the ability to key the transmitter without a computer or touchscreen. There are also some minor bug-fixes.

The RTL-SDR can be set to receive audio on one of 5 preset frequencies on touchscreen Menu 3. These frequencies are currently fixed, but will be configurable in a future release. The RTL-SDR can also be configured as a RTL-TCP Server for use with SDRSharp on a network-connected PC by selecting a button on Menu 3.

The "keyed repeater stream" functionality has been extended to control the transmit functions. This allows the Portsdown to be set up from the console and then operated (on those preset parameters) without a touchscreen or computer by simply keying a GPIO line. Details here https://wiki.batc.tv/Hardware-only_Transmit_Switching. Additionally, the keyed repeater stream will now automatically restart if it crashes due to a noisy video signal.

For Waveshare touchscreen users the Video View functionality has been significantly improved with much less flicker and a 2Hz refresh rate.

There is no urgent need to upgrade to this version unless you want to take advantage of the new features above.

Dave

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sun Oct 29, 2017 9:32 pm

New Software Release

I've just issued a new release 201710280. It introduces the basic Signal Generator which can be selected from Menu 3 on the touchscreen. Full details are on the Wiki: https://wiki.batc.tv/Portsdown_Signal_Generator. Currently it can control outputs from the ADF4351, either directly or from the Portsdown Filter-Modulator (which provides a higher output level). From the ADF4351 it can cover 53 MHz to 4.2 GHz.

Future enhancements to the Signal Generator should allow an audio frequency output and the use of a DATV Express or ADF5355 as the output device. It is also hoped to control an external software controlled attenuator.

A button to select the DTX-1 as a DATV output device for the Portsdown has also been added on Menu 2.

Dave

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Tue Nov 07, 2017 4:38 pm

New Software Release

I've just issued a new release 201711031. This enables individual touchscreens to be calibrated so that the touch point exactly matches up with the displayed buttons. Access the facility through the "Cal Tch" button on Menu 3. Full instructions here: https://wiki.batc.tv/Calibrating_the_To ... _Alignment.

The release adds the facility to boot to the Signal Generator (with the output on), so that it can be used a stand-alone signal source. The bug that prevented the selection of fractions of a MHz has also been corrected. Note that even stand-alone use of the Signal Generator requires a tocuhscreen to be connected.

Lastly, the facility to invert the touch overlay for the Waveshare 4 inch screen has been added.

Thanks to Dave, Bevan and Jeff for their inputs to this release.

I would recommend that you upgrade and calibrate your touchscreen. It make most screens much easier to use.

Dave

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:04 pm

Hi Dave,

Is there any way to update from the touch screen?

Mike

F5SWB Dimitri

Post by F5SWB Dimitri » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:11 pm

I think you need to be in console mode via the menu ...
Congratulations to dave for this new addons :)

73's from nord east france !
F5SWB/Dimitri.

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:22 pm

Hi Mike

I've considered enabling update from touchscreen, but am not going to implement it until I have another requirement to implement some form of yes/no decision screen. Once I've done that boring bit, it will be easy.

I am prioritising TV/RF features over system admin for now.

Dave

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Tue Nov 07, 2017 5:23 pm

Fair enough. The sig gen works well. I just calibrated it to account for the not very good reference.

When are you adding the teasmaid functionality?

Mike

g0uhy

Post by g0uhy » Wed Nov 08, 2017 3:52 pm

Hi Dave,

I've upgraded to the latest software and had an issue. After the upgrade the ADF4351 would not lock. On investigation I found that the reference frequency had reverted back to 25MHz and my VCO had a 10MHz reference. This hadn't changed on doing previous updates so was this just a fluke?

Malcolm G0UHY

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”