Assembled Portsdown filter modulator card

Discussion about this major DATV Project. See https://wiki.batc.org.uk/The_Portsdown_Transmitter
g8gtz

Assembled Portsdown filter modulator card

Post by g8gtz » Fri Mar 17, 2017 9:03 pm

As you may know if you follow @g8gtz or @batconline on Twitter a team of volunteers have spent the last couple of days preparing for and testing the assembled Portsdown Filter modulator cards.

As the units needed to be modified to version 1a standard, we had to test the units as received from the assembly house, before doing the rework and then retesting. If you want to see why we did the mods, see the pictures on the wiki at https://wiki.batc.tv/Filter_Modulator_V ... ifications

Unfortunately during this first test we discovered that 12 out of the 50 have faulty or damaged 82 millihenry chokes which severally affected the MER performance at 2 Msymbols. We suspect they were a faulty batch of coils which were damaged by the heat during the solder reflow process and we will have to return these boards for re-work.

As result we only have a potential of 38 units - today, we have managed to initially test and rework these units but only managed to final test 16 units before running out of time.

So we have 16 units to sell and no matter how I do it, people will miss out and probably complain. So I'm going to put my tin hat on and put them in shop at 9am tomorrow and run....

I will attempt to test another batch and release them on Sunday afternoon but I do have another life besides BATC and I'm being hassled to write CQ-TV articles as well....

There will then be another batch to release - perhaps at 9:15pm on Monday whilst you are all watching Broadchurch! And then there will be the remaining 12 when they return from the assembly house. And if we sell out, we will be making some more :-)

Re pricing - they are in the shop at £115 including signed for delivery. This is only slightly more than rolling your own, which would cost you around £92, and still makes Portsdown a very attractive full featured 5 band DATV system for under £250 - by comparison have you seen how much a fancy HF rig will cost you? Each board comes with an individual test report and instructions on what to do next - see https://wiki.batc.tv/File:FM_Check_Sheet_v2a.pdf

So remember, if you don't get one please don't shoot or shout at the volunteer or there might not be any more - and please don't email / PM me asking when / how as you now know as much as I do!

Have a good weekend

Noel - G8GTZ

g8gtz

Re: Assembled Portsdown filter modulator card

Post by g8gtz » Sun Mar 19, 2017 4:29 pm

Sorry folks - family life took over and I have not managed to test any more boards over the weekend. I may get a few done by 9pm whilst I watch the KLB show.

However, there is a major problem looming in that 2 of my PCs have done the Win 10 update that stops MiniTioune and my laptop has downloaded the update and is demanding an restart....

I will post on here before I put any units in the shop so monitor the forum using the RSS feed for the latest update - http://www.batc.org.uk/forum/feed.php

Noel

g8gtz

Post by g8gtz » Sun Mar 19, 2017 8:15 pm

Just to say that there will be some boards appear in the shop at 9pm tonight.

73 G8GTZ

g8gtz

Post by g8gtz » Mon Mar 20, 2017 5:29 pm

All the boards ordered up until today have been posted first class - 50 parcels in total went to PO today!

I'll put some more in the shop tonight at the start of Broadchurch - give you something to do during the advert breaks :-)

Noel - G8GTZ

G7VVF

Post by G7VVF » Mon Mar 20, 2017 10:49 pm

I visited the BATC shop this morning at about 7:50 am, just to check my log-on was working. Much to my surprise there were 2 fully assembled modulator boards still available, I quickly purchased it before it disappeared and was successful, I was well chuffed. Looking forward now to it arriving in the post.
Duncan G7VVF

g8gtz

Post by g8gtz » Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:45 pm

The current stock has been sold but there are 12 more boards which will be available by the end of next week - watch this space.

After that we will assess demand but it is likely we will build another 50 but these will not be available for 4 weeks from the point of order.

Version 2 blank PCBs are now in stock - for build details see https://wiki.batc.tv/Filter_Modulator_ver2

g8gtz

Post by g8gtz » Wed Mar 29, 2017 11:12 am

Quick update - More assembled filter modulator boards should be in the shop tomorrow (Thursday 30th March) and we are about to order another batch from the assembly house.

Return to “The Portsdown Digital ATV System”