Where to Start ?

Click here to learn more about Amateur TV and the BATC
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
M0PJA

Where to Start ?

Post by M0PJA » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:35 am

Hi

I have been wanting to get started with ATV for a couple of years, however I not got very far.

I have a couple of limiting factors Funds and disability.

Digital ATV appeals to me - I have enjoyed reading the info on RB-TV -

So I am looking for a low cost start, I don't mind building kit but it takes a long time for me to construct anything due
to problems with my hands. I also like using Raspberry PI and Arduino.

I live halfway between Sheffield and Worksop, unfortunately there is not anyone in my local club who is into ATV.

Any advise could be welcome

thanks

Paul

G4EWJ

Re: Where to Start ?

Post by G4EWJ » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:13 pm

The GB3TT repeater between Sheffield and Rotherham looks like it would cover you, but it doesn't seem to be operational at the moment.

It's difficult when there's nobody else interested nearby. You have to start by transmitting to yourself and then get other people interested. DATV-Express is probably the best for the medium cost, already built route. It's driven by a Linux PC (not sure about RPi), but your Linux knowledge would be useful.

Buildng a DigiThin should be a cheaper route, but it's almost all small surface mount components. DigiLite is similar, but they are available secondhand.

There's a lot of development activity in the digital field, but analogue is still widely used. Look out for Comtech modules and get an analogue satellite box to receive on 23cm without a converter. A pre-amp will be needed for distance use.

I see from your blog that you went to CAT13, so it would be well worth going to CAT15. There should be plenty of hardware to have a look at.

Brian

G8GQS

Post by G8GQS » Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:12 pm

Hi,

It's still a few weeks away, but I would recommend that you attend the BATC's CAT 15, held this year at Finningley. see

http://www.batc.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=93&t=4209

regards

Brian S
Regards Brian

Visit the Virtual Broadcast TV camera Museum

M0PJA

Post by M0PJA » Wed Nov 18, 2015 11:08 pm

Many thanks for the replies - sorry its taken me so long to get back to you.

I have a number of health issues.

I am looking forward to trying some things over the next few weeks

thanks again

Paul

keng8vdp

Post by keng8vdp » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:27 pm

G4EWJ wrote:The GB3TT repeater between Sheffield and Rotherham looks like it would cover you, but it doesn't seem to be operational at the moment.

It's difficult when there's nobody else interested nearby. You have to start by transmitting to yourself and then get other people interested. DATV-Express is probably the best for the medium cost, already built route. It's driven by a Linux PC (not sure about RPi), but your Linux knowledge would be useful.

Buildng a DigiThin should be a cheaper route, but it's almost all small surface mount components. DigiLite is similar, but they are available secondhand.

There's a lot of development activity in the digital field, but analogue is still widely used. Look out for Comtech modules and get an analogue satellite box to receive on 23cm without a converter. A pre-amp will be needed for distance use.

I see from your blog that you went to CAT13, so it would be well worth going to CAT15. There should be plenty of hardware to have a look at.

Brian
Unfortunately TT is still not operational as a repeater as of October 2016. It transmits a testcard thats all.
I think some work has been done on the transmitter though lately but is very weak even from 2 or 3 miles away direct line of sight.
I do hope things move along with this repeater. It would be nice to have some sort of receiver hooked up at least.

Ken G8VDP

keng8vdp

Post by keng8vdp » Wed Oct 12, 2016 7:30 pm

M0PJA wrote:Hi

I have been wanting to get started with ATV for a couple of years, however I not got very far.

I have a couple of limiting factors Funds and disability.

Digital ATV appeals to me - I have enjoyed reading the info on RB-TV -

So I am looking for a low cost start, I don't mind building kit but it takes a long time for me to construct anything due
to problems with my hands. I also like using Raspberry PI and Arduino.

I live halfway between Sheffield and Worksop, unfortunately there is not anyone in my local club who is into ATV.

Any advise could be welcome

thanks

Paul
Hi Paul,

Please try a call on 144.750 on an evening. Sometimes we are on there from around Barnsley not too far from you.
alternative is 144.5625 which is the local frequency where local hams tend to gather.

Ken G8VDP

g8gtz

Post by g8gtz » Thu Oct 13, 2016 8:12 am

Don't forget there's a collection of getting started guides on the BATC wiki.

https://wiki.batc.tv/Getting_Started

Noel - G8GTZ

brown1

Post by brown1 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 9:04 pm

Thanks for update

Return to “Getting Started?”