[Resolved] Anyone ordering from Mouser UK? I want a Pluto TXCO!

G8PEF

Re: [Resolved] Anyone ordering from Mouser UK? I want a Pluto TXCO!

Post by G8PEF » Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:15 pm

Thanks for that, Mike - I figured that they must be related, but wasn't sure how easy it was to convert... The linked document Gives a good explanation - with examples - and I'm not afraid of a bit of arithmetic, so it made an interesting read. Armed with that I guess I could make a stab at seeing what the jitter figures are for the Abracons. Not sure I'd want to tackle turning a jitter figure into a PN curve, though ;)

gi7ugv

Re: Anyone ordering from Mouser UK? I want a Pluto TXCO!

Post by gi7ugv » Tue Dec 17, 2019 12:02 pm

John - I take it that (dodgy soldering exploits notwithstanding) you had/are having no problems with the Abracon, and it's performing well as a replacement?

Also, as I understand it, any basic inaccuracy in the oscillator's frequency can be calibrated out in the Pluto setup, so as long as the operating temperature is reasonably stable, the frequency shouldn't shift too much anyway... Is this thinking correct?

John, G8PEF
The soldering wasn't helped with the tip being larger than the whole component, but mostly me not being careful enough.. There are some small add-on boards available to make it a bit easier. My first attempt with the soldering mess was reading off frequency more than it should have been which I initially calibrated out on the Pluto to see if that was the only symptom but the QPSK constellation was visibly unhealthy compared to before so I had damaged the component.

As Mike said it isn't an issue for DATV but the original wasn't stable enough for using on the QO-100 narrow band transponder and would drift an unacceptable amount on transmit. The new one moved away from the hot chip is performing perfectly very well as a replacement stability wise and the DATV reports and constellations are the same or similar enough that I can't tell the difference.

The one thing that did make a real difference for me was the GND modification, prior to finding out about that I was struggling with the Pluto seemingly randomly losing its network connection several times a day.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlB47BAupsA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YEeDGSzZc1A

greg

Post by greg » Wed Dec 18, 2019 11:40 am

John,
Many thanks. The TcXo arrived safely this morning.
I have donated £5 to the BATC with my thanks to your generosity.

Have a great Christmas my friend

de M0ODZ
Greg

greg

Post by greg » Wed Dec 18, 2019 12:49 pm

Also, you're not kidding about that thing being tiny, I'm going to solder that on my desk, covering the desk with the white side of a roll of wrapping paper. If that bounces more than 2 inches I'll never see it again!

Return to “Wanted Ads Archive”