Raspberry Pi & Digithin not working

The place for discussion about the RPi add-on RB-TV modulator card developed by G4EWJ and supported by the BATC Shop
g8vpg

Raspberry Pi & Digithin not working

Post by g8vpg » Sat Oct 24, 2015 1:44 pm

Last week, the camera on my Rpi stopped working, but I managed to get it working from the TS file on the SD card. Today, the Rpi stops during the boot sequence and I see;
blk update request, I/o error, dev mmcbblk0, sector 2745027, this last number incrementing on each line.
Does anyone have any suggestions?
73 Shaun G8VPG.

G0EID

Re: Raspberry Pi & Digithin not working

Post by G0EID » Sat Oct 24, 2015 11:28 pm

Hi Shaun,
The i/o errors might be read/write errors on the SD card?
So maybe suspect the SD card initially?
If you are using a microSD to SD adaptor then cleaning the contacts on that might be worth a try too?
Writing a new image on another SD card might cure your camera fault at the same time?
Dave - G0EID

M0DTS

Post by M0DTS » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:12 am

Probably down to hot plugging the power to the pi, rather than shutting it down after use (which is not easy on this setup!)
I have managed to kills a few installs like this!

I have also found some cheap ebay sourced SD cards fail much more easily than (supposedly) genuine sd cards.

Really we should have a shutdown button on one of the Pi GPIO pins to switch it off safely.
There are many examples on the net of how to do it but there maybe no spare GPIO pins...

Rob
M0DTS

g8vpg

Post by g8vpg » Sun Oct 25, 2015 9:44 am

Thanks for your help. You are absolutely right Rob, I have just been switching it off after use! The card is a good quality Kingston class 10, so I'll try writing a new image on a new card. Is the old card scrap, or can it be re-formatted?
73 Shaun.

M0DTS

Post by M0DTS » Sun Oct 25, 2015 1:44 pm

I have some Chinese Kingston cards and they are scrap.. they fail very quickly again after re-writing a new image.
The same does not seem to apply to a UK source of Kingston cards so results may vary.

Rob

G1LWX

Post by G1LWX » Sun Oct 25, 2015 5:07 pm

sudo shutdown -h now will shutdown safely

g8gtz

Post by g8gtz » Sun Oct 25, 2015 6:22 pm

Agreed but we are running these headless - difficult to take keyboard / mouse / monitor etc when out /p.

As Rob suggested, we need a GPIO configured to shutdown nicely.

Noel - G8GTZ

g8vpg

Post by g8vpg » Tue Oct 27, 2015 6:33 pm

I have now written a new image SD card and the Rpi boots up correctly. I am able to stream the TS file on the card, but the camera still doesn't work. I tried accessing the camera without the Digithin connected, using the Raspivid command, and it says camera not detected. I bought a new camera and that doesn't work either, same report. So, I am guessing that either there is a hardware fault on the Rpi or some obscure software problem. The original model B's with the 26 pin GPIO header are no longer available. Still, I have learnt the sudo shutdown now command and that closes it down properly.
73 Shaun.

f5oeo

Post by f5oeo » Wed Oct 28, 2015 9:55 am

Hi,

I note the need of a reset button on GPIO...
For camera, try a sudo raspi-config and go to submenu "enable camera"

73's Evariste F5OEO

Return to “DigiThin”