DigiThin QRP

The place for discussion about the RPi add-on RB-TV modulator card developed by G4EWJ and supported by the BATC Shop
M0SKM

DigiThin QRP

Post by M0SKM » Tue Jul 14, 2015 5:36 pm

Arthur G4CPE and I live quite close; just under 3 miles across a bit of a valley, it’s not at all unusual for us to do ridiculously low power tests just for a bit of fun. Last weekend Arthur was testing his DigiThin on 146 MHz and I received P5 pictures from him on my MiniTuner. We both used collinear antennas and transmit power was 3 watts.

We were closing down for the night and Arthur asked if I could spare a minute for a quick test without the PA; “It’s not going to work but you have to try” he said. Knowing how much interference we get when using vertical polarisation I had to agree it was unlikely to work. He quickly changed some connections and switched back on with just a milliwatt output. At my QTH the result was immediate and stunning, perfect pictures again with an MER of 9.5dB, and removing the analyser tee the MER rose to 11.5dB.

We are both convinced that DigiThin and the MiniTuner are excellent low budget projects for those wanting to get into RB DATV. Both projects would be ideal for club builds given the documentation was pulled together. Of course these are beta products and not totally bug free, they’re a load of fun though.

Well done and thanks to all those involved in the development of the hardware and software.
Steve
M0SKM
Last edited by M0SKM on Tue Jul 14, 2015 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Find me on D Star through GB7BP

g8gtz

Re: DigiThin QRP

Post by g8gtz » Tue Jul 14, 2015 7:02 pm

Excellent - maybe we should start the BATC 146 MHz milliwatt challenge!

Hopefully somebody south of Birmingham might win that one!!

Noel - G8GTZ
BTW - see the new thread http://www.batc.org.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=97&t=4203 about the potential starter project.

M0DTS

Post by M0DTS » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:32 pm

Very good, this narrow band datv does work well :-)

I feel a 1mW @28km test coming soon...

Rob

G1LPS Terry

Post by G1LPS Terry » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:26 pm

Ha I'm up for it Rob catch you tonight

Return to “DigiThin”