23cms - the future

Discussion and announcements about ATV related spectrum
g8gtz

23cms - the future

Post by g8gtz » Fri Dec 08, 2023 7:15 pm

IARU have announced that the proposal from the working group has been accepted and will be added as a footnote to the regulations for the 1240 to 1300 MHz band.

See https://www.iaru-r1.org/2023/23cm-band- ... of-wrc-23/

What I think this means (it's difficult to get anyone to clarify) is that the restrictions in the chart below form the footnote which will be added to the worldwide regulations but it is up to the individual regulators how they interpret this and change the amateur license in their country.
IARU President Tim Ellam, VE6SH, noted “This is a very good result for the amateur services. The decision reached at WRC-23 on this agenda item makes no change to the table of allocations nor incorporates by reference M.2164 into the Radio Regulations. The addition of a footnote that provides guidance to administrations in the event of interference to the RNSS is a good regulatory outcome for amateurs and the primary users of this band.”
If the footnote were to be implemented by the regulator (Ofcom in the UK) as mandatory it will mean FM ATV is no longer possible below 1300 MHz (except at very very low power levels) and there are very strict power limits for anywhere below 1296 MHz. We would then need to look at band/repeater planning as it is likely that repeater inputs will have to move and any new channels will be affected by the power restrictions.

It seems possible that if there are to be any changes to the UK license it will be implemented by January 2025.

We will post updates as and when they appear.
Noel
ITU3.jpg
ITU3.jpg (393.38 KiB) Viewed 16268 times

M0DTS

Re: 23cms - the future

Post by M0DTS » Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:40 am

Excellent, we will still be able to use the band :-)

Rob

g8gtz

Post by g8gtz » Sat Dec 09, 2023 9:58 am

Further note from Barry G4SJH, who has done an incredible amount of work as a volunteer in getting the best possible compromise for the worldwide amateur community:

https://www.iaru-r1.org/wp-content/uplo ... 3_23cm.pdf

Also a comment on the Microwave reflector is worth noting:
It strikes me this is the ideal answer to the often heard phase "What is the RSGB going to do about it?" The GNSS lobby must be about the most powerful lobby for radio spectrum. It is good to know we have members will to to give their time and experience to putting our case in the highest quarters.
Alan G3NYK

G7VVF

Post by G7VVF » Sat Dec 09, 2023 11:26 am

This is good news, no new rules/band plans written in to regulations, the accepted Footnote only gives guidance in dealing with actual interference and not potential interference.

"authorizing administration, upon receipt of a report of harmful interference caused by a station of the amateur or amateur-satellite services, shall take all necessary steps to rapidly eliminate such interference"

There is also this additional ongoing work which may impact European ATV but not the UK.

"However consequential activities may continue
especially in the CEPT countries where a regional work item is open to develop a
spectrum decision on this same topic but focused on the Galileo RNSS system. The
IARU Region 1 will continue to be active in that work."

Galileo is 1258.29 -1299.21, so this additional work won't affect UK TV repeaters but might have an impact on European ones.
I guess this may mean a band plan similar to M.2164 for the 1258.29 -1299.21 spectrum is implemented in CEPT countries or they could just adopt the Footnote for guidance.

I suspect the most identifiable incidents of interference to RNSS will come from (always on) repeaters, less likely to identify interference from repeater input users or simplex transmissions. The Monte Carlo study gave about a 1% chance of interference, so hopefully actual recorded instances of interference will be none - rare.

Duncan
G7VVF

g6jyb

Post by g6jyb » Sun Dec 10, 2023 4:45 pm

Whilst the outcome on WRC-23 is extremely welcome, the process is not over.

I will also caution you all that you are all forgetting the other UK Primary Users and their radars, which are growing and changing too - as per RSGB Papers considered in the recent IARU Region-1 Conference

I am quite sure there will eventually be some changes...

Murray G6JYB

Return to “Spectrum matters”