Portsdown and Ryde SD Cards

The place for announcements on the latest stock items and for your feedback on items that you would like to see in stock
G8GKQ
Site Admin

Portsdown and Ryde SD Cards

Post by G8GKQ » Sun Oct 04, 2020 10:01 am

Portsdown SD Cards are back in stock in the BATC Shop. Please be very careful to select the correct type of SD Card (Portsdown 4 for the Raspberry Pi 4, or Portsdown 2020 for the Raspberry Pi 3). If you have placed an order and it is for the wrong type, please e-mail me.

I will be adding Ryde SD Cards to the shop as soon as we have resolved a software issue that we are struggling with at the moment. No point in us selling cards if you would need to update them in the next week or so.

Dave, G8GKQ

g0mjw

Re: Portsdown and Ryde SD Cards

Post by g0mjw » Sun Oct 04, 2020 11:12 am

Dave,

Can you explain how you clone the cards. I have just done that for my PI4 to replace a 64 Gb Kingston card that was very very slow for a 32 Gb Sandisk. It is not trivial now, even for cards of the same size, as many backup and restore utilities don't work since Raspian started paying attention to the unique ID. (You need to modify the unique ID back to match to the one you copied from or it won't boot). I am sure there is an easier way - perhaps the utility SD Copy now built in? Not all SD cards sold as the same size actually are the same size.

Mike

aerostar

Post by aerostar » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:09 pm

There is a script available called rpi-clone which will clone a card to a bigger or smaller card as long as the smaller card can take the data.

Have a look here https://github.com/billw2/rpi-clone

I use it for my Pi headless stuff to keep various versions that are working before making changes.

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Sun Oct 04, 2020 1:57 pm

Hi Mike

rpi-clone looks interesting.

I don't clone the cards for the shop - each one is built from scratch and then checked for transmit capability before posting. That way I can monitor for system and app updates that break things.

Dave

Return to “BATC Shop”