TS Dock PCB for DTX1

Help and support for the BATC DTX1 ATV digital encoder and modulator system
M0LDZ

Re: TS Dock PCB for DTX1

Post by M0LDZ » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:27 am

Hi Ian

Well I can't take credit for the Pi software - that's down to Evariste, F5OEO, who should be releasing a new SD image to the public imminently. All I did was design the TS_DOCK schematic and PCB. Carl M0ICS did the DTX1 firmware, and that IS available now at Beta as above.

I think Evariste's website http://f5oeo.fr/ is where you will be able to get it from. In due course we will with permission put it on our own DTX1 support site http://www.dtx1.info

As soon as I get more news I will advise everyone accordingly!

Laurence M0LDZ

M0LDZ

Post by M0LDZ » Sat Jun 20, 2015 4:19 pm

Hi all -

I see the TS-DOCK PCB's are selling in the BATC shop, which is great -

so for those who haven't obtained it already here's the link to the parts list (bill of materials) for assembling the board.

http://www.dtx1.info/TS_DOCK/

It's case sensitive.

Ah, the smell of solder flux...mmmmm.. wonder if that's how I contracted Asthma..... :roll:

73's

Laurence M0LDZ

M0LDZ

Post by M0LDZ » Thu Jun 25, 2015 5:19 pm

Hi all

After an initial delay while we tested it ourselves, here is a Beta version of Evariste's code for the Pi, to try : http://f5oeo.fr/RpiDATV1.2.1.img.zip

To use it on Model B Pi's unzip, write the image with win32sdimager onto an SD card, & plug it into a Raspberry Pi and then choose items on the menu via. the keyboard.

We have tried it here and it works very well. There are some continuity errors due to dupilcate PMT's (one from the Pi, one from the DTX1) which will probably be dealt with by a further release of Beta software for the DTX1. However the code is very useable as-is and decodes fine.

No further bulletins expected now until next week.

73's

Laurence

M0LDZ

Post by M0LDZ » Mon Jun 29, 2015 12:27 pm

Hi everyone -

Please note, the interconnections listed previously between the DTX1 TS Dock PCB and the RPi are missing one vital connection - signal ground! :oops:

Please make sure you connect 0v on the Model B Pi (pin 6 of the 26 Way connector to 0V on the TS Dock pin 1 of the 34 Way connector). 8-)

Laurence M0LDZ

M0LDZ

Re: TS Dock PCB for DTX1 Rev 1.1

Post by M0LDZ » Wed Sep 09, 2015 8:19 pm

Hi everyone

For those of you who didn't make it to CAT15, you might like to know that the BATC shop is now stocking Version 1.1 of the TS Dock PCB. This has a 26 Way connector (as well as the 34) and the 26 Way goes directly 1:1to the Pi :) Much neater !
New boardsmall.jpg
New boardsmall.jpg (92.39 KiB) Viewed 13110 times

g8vpg

Post by g8vpg » Wed Sep 16, 2015 6:54 pm

I have nearly finished the TS Dock board. I have had the DTX1 firmware upgraded and hope to try it on 146.5MHz at 333ks/s using the Raspberry Pi and camera. I found a good source of the 26 way ribbon cable is Maplins, who sell a neat GPIO breakout kit for the Raspberry Pi. Besides the cable, it includes a little PCB and socket that could be used for adapting to the 40 way GPIO on the latest model Pi (Maplin part N95NQ). I have read the addendum to the DTX1 manual, but must confess to still being a little confused about the settings changes that I need to make. I wonder if someone who has got this going could list the changes that are necessary?
73 Shaun.

M0LDZ

Post by M0LDZ » Sat Oct 31, 2015 1:41 pm

Hi Shaun

At Noel's suggestion we about to release a new version of DTX1 firmware which will incorporate a preset for the Pi / TS Dock combo. This should make life easier for everyone.

Laurence

g8vpg

Post by g8vpg » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:21 am

I have just finished the issue 1.1 TS dock board. When I used the second channel board, the DTX1 detected it and displayed a second arrow on the display. The TS dock board does not do this. I have connected the Pi and set it to DTX1 output mode. The red camera light is on and I know that the camera works OK, because it displays a picture with the raspivid -d command. I am not getting any output waveform from the DTX1. I have no facility to update the DTX1 firmware to the new version with a preset for Pi operation, so I wonder if someone who has got this running could write a few notes about the correct menu options to select and what, if any, indications the display shows. I am confused by some earlier posts on this thread that seem to imply having two transport streams in operation; how is this possible as the DTX1 has only one RF output?
73 Shaun.

M0LDZ

Post by M0LDZ » Sun Jan 03, 2016 11:46 am

Hi Shaun and Happy New Year! :)

We would not expect the DTX1 to detect the TS Dock board - that's normal. (There are no I2C devices on it that the firmware can look for!)

If you think about a normal broadcast RF signal, it's a multiplex - after all you have but one aerial socket on your TV yet several 'channels' (really programs) now happily live in the same bandwidth as did an analogue TV station. Built into our DVB encoding FPGA there is a 2 channel multiplexer. The first input channel is connected to the MPEG2 encoder IC output on the main board, and the second one presented at the header into which you connect the TS Dock PCB. You need to 'tell' the DTX1 that there is a second channel in operation by enabling it in the menu system, and for DATV purposes it's usual also to disable the primary channel or you will in fact get a wider signal to air containing both lots of data! You also need to tell it that the clock is EXTernally sourced. There are then a few other parameters to input and tbh these can be a little tricky, but help is coming!

We are about to ship a new batch of DTX1's to BATC pending Noel confirming the exact default preset contents, and at that time (hopefully this week) we will also release the latest version of firmware to existing users which will contain that enhancement. You will need a simple RS-232 lead (Tx, Rx and Ground) to re-flash your DTX1. The latest version will be announced here shortly then, and will be found at http://www.dtx1.info/downloads/firmware/ along with the PC utility to re-flash the unit. A new batch of TS Dock PCB's will be shipped too (no design changes).

Laurence M0LDZ (DTX1 support)

g8vpg

Post by g8vpg » Sun Jan 03, 2016 1:55 pm

Laurence,
Thanks for the quick reply and a Happy New Year to you also!
I will await the new release, but an example of the problems that the non-expert has is when you say tell the DTX1 via the menu system it has a second channel; which menu, which option? It is not obvious to me! I can make up a serial lead, I think you use a 6 pin connector, rather than the 8 pin Ethernet type. I can cut one off an old telephone, but can you detail which pins are which at the DTX1 end, and are the rx/tx leads straight or crossed over?
73 Shaun.

Return to “BATC DTX1”