Software Control for DTX1

Help and support for the BATC DTX1 ATV digital encoder and modulator system
M0ATV

Software Control for DTX1

Post by M0ATV » Thu Dec 19, 2013 2:56 pm

Just purchased a DTX1 and was wondering if there is any software available for control when connection to PC is made, just got so used to being able to quickly make changes on the fly with my old Digilite & PC, & finding it a bit slow & clumsy from front keypad.

2E0DTX

Re: Software Control for DTX1

Post by 2E0DTX » Thu Dec 19, 2013 10:10 pm

Hi,

We haven't written any, although at least one person has indicated they will soon be writing a Windows app for it! You can of course use Hyperterminal or similar already. Making it remotely accessible would be really handy in a repeater deployment.

Free Antennair Polo shirt for the first one past the post with a credible program ?? :)

Cheers

Laurence 2E0DTX

M0ATV

Post by M0ATV » Mon Dec 23, 2013 10:40 am

Thanks for the reply Laurence, enjoying using the DTX1 here, just awaiting arrival of mini#kits PGA-103 pre driver amp for more output for main amplifier/s, one question, do you think there will be any chance of a DVB-T equivalent of the DTX1 ( same specs 2Mb-8Mb & 70-23cm ) coverage, always fancied a dabble at DVB-T to compare range & terrain differences, I know there are products out there offering this, but would like the neat design & layout of the DTX1, thanks Tony

2E0DTX

Post by 2E0DTX » Tue Dec 24, 2013 4:11 pm

Thanks Tony

Glad you like the product. I'm not sure about a DVB-T version being of much interest in the amateur TV community but since I am new to it I am prepared to be proved wrong :) If there is sufficient clamour then you never know, but somehow I doubt it.

Anyway all the best for Christmas and the New Year to you and everyone in the BATC.

73's

Laurence

MIKE404

Post by MIKE404 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:25 pm

Hi all DTX1 Owners,

Is there actually a realistic user market for control software?

The unit sales are quite low at present, and just aspiring to something that runs under Windows could be a further handicap to someone wanting to take this on. The offer of a free Polo shirt is starting to become too much for me to bare however - that is an amazing offer. That would be a one off item just like this coding project.

The solution thinking of falls down nicely for desktop Windows, Linux & Apple. Then if you go Bluetooth to TTL via that RJ11 (or whatever the socket is) via a module you end up with some quite nice control solutions, that would also include Android or even your computer serial terminal via this method.

Any thoughts on a direction?

Regards.

2E0DTX

Post by 2E0DTX » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:36 pm

Hi Mike

The DTX1 RJ11 has RS-232 signalling and levels - there's a proper Maxim transceiver chip in there. Pinout is in the User Guide. Admittedly, the trend towards not having a proper de facto standard serial port on PC's (I dont know ANY new ones that have it, more's the pity) is tragic - but of all the standards we might have adopted we thought a well tried de facto Industry one was the best option. USB to RS-232 dongles for PC's and Android are cheap and available from many eBay sources or if your'e feeling flush you could go to Maplin :) You only need a terminal emulator (or old Glass Teletype real Terminal) to talk to the DTX1 but swish GUI stuff obviously wants a graphically based o/s and app.

We've written a PC app. for re-flashing the device, and will be showing it at CAT14 next month. Anyone who wants a copy can get a Beta release at http://www.dtx1.info/downloads/firmware/Beta by the way. Presentationally I would call it a neat engineering tool - it saves the tedium of typing or using Hyperterminal (Ugh).

I don't really understand your suggestion for moving forward with a control app - could you tell us all exactly what it is you're suggesting?

73'

Laurence 2E0DTX

Return to “BATC DTX1”