PLUTO for TX and RX

Click here to learn more about Amateur TV and the BATC
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
EA7KIR

PLUTO for TX and RX

Post by EA7KIR » Mon Mar 15, 2021 5:51 pm

Can a PLUTO be used with the DATV QO-100 uplink and downlink frequencies at the same time (duplex) ?
Michael EA7KIR

g0mjw

Re: PLUTO for TX and RX

Post by g0mjw » Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:31 pm

Yes. SDRConsole does it. However you could have googled that, and so wouldn't ask. A assume you mean for DATV. I don't think so as the USB bandwidth is not so high.

EA7KIR

Post by EA7KIR » Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:49 pm

g0mjw wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:31 pm
Yes. SDRConsole does it. However you could have googled that, and so wouldn't ask. A assume you mean for DATV. I don't think so as the USB bandwidth is not so high.
Indeed I do mean DATV. That's why I said so when asking for help. I've been Googling all sorts of things for weeks, including SDRConsole, because there's nothing in this forum or the WiKi. So far, I haven't found any talk of this relating to DATV. That's why I've resorted to asking on this forum. So, if anyone, or knows of anyone, who has knowledge of using a PLUO for QO-100 DATV in this way, I'd love to hear of their experience.
Michael EA7KIR

G8GKQ
Site Admin

Post by G8GKQ » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:01 pm

Michael

I'm not sure exactly what your question is.

You can use the Pluto for DATV Transmit to QO-100 either using the BATC Portsdown Transmitter, or by using a PC and more recent versions of the F5OEO software. There is plenty of information on the BATC Wiki about that.

However, there is no accompanying receiver using the Pluto. Or at least not one that will receive at the same time as using the Pluto for DATV Transmit.

It would be possible to use the Pluto as a DATV Receiver, but there are much better solutions using the MiniTiouner family of hardware.

Dave, G8GKQ

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Mon Mar 15, 2021 9:11 pm

EA7KIR wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 8:49 pm
g0mjw wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 6:31 pm
Indeed I do mean DATV. That's why I said so when asking for help. I've been Googling all sorts of things for weeks, including SDRConsole, because there's nothing in this forum or the WiKi. So far, I haven't found any talk of this relating to DATV. That's why I've resorted to asking on this forum. So, if anyone, or knows of anyone, who has knowledge of using a PLUO for QO-100 DATV in this way, I'd love to hear of their experience.
So as I said. I tried to get the software decoder to work (both SDR Angel and the later one that uses Limes and RT dongles) but I didn't manage it. You might get somewhere with Gnuradio but the problem is the USB2 limitations so it is only going to work at low SRs. Gnuradio TX is simple enough. RX a bit more diffucult.

Mike

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Tue Mar 16, 2021 8:54 am

I have had some success with the Amsat DVBSGUI software (it will reliably decode the beacon for me using RTL, RSP1 and Pluto as receiver) but it is very flakey in its behaviour. SOmetimes almost instant lock, other times, it just won't go.Better than nothing but certainly not plug and play. Similar to SDRAngel, works sometimes, not others. Main problem for me is getting it to see what I have plugged in. I now use a Ryde and the IR 'mute' button for DATV via QO-100.
Gareth

Pa3fbx

Post by Pa3fbx » Sat Mar 20, 2021 9:02 pm

well, i had to try and yesss....
It is posible to use the pluto with dvb_gui to see the beacon and use OBS to resend this received stream back to the sat via the same Pluto...

Pluto is connected via USB and connected to LNB and amplifier.

Bare in mind you are running 2 different heavy duty programs on same computer, so that part need very high CPU capabilities..
and DVB-Gui is a bitch to get a nice picture..
But yes, you can use 1 Pluto with P5OEO firmware, OBS, DVB-Gui to full duplex DATV...

Best regards
Benno

Return to “Getting Started?”