RTL dongle

Click here to learn more about Amateur TV and the BATC
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
m0riu

RTL dongle

Post by m0riu » Sun Apr 12, 2020 3:06 pm

I heard a presentation from Noel on wednesday night and decided to see if i could recieve. I thought I had a Freesat box sculling about, but its gone. I do have a RTL dongle, which is supposed to be able to cover 23cms. Does anyone use these to recieve, and if so with what software?
TIA
David
M0RIU

g8vpg

Re: RTL dongle

Post by g8vpg » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:40 pm

David,
Not knowing what Noel was talking about last week, what are you trying the receive? With this information, we can point you in the right direction.
73 Shaun G8VPG.

m0riu

Post by m0riu » Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:51 pm

GB3YT is my local repeater. I was hoping to be able to recieve it with an RTL SDR dongle. These are sold to recieve DTV via an antenna on a PC. They are widely used as recieve only SDR's with SDR#, but are designed for TV. They have a frequency range of 30MHz-2GHz.
Just want to use it as a way to start.
PS i only live 4 miles from the repeater and have line of sight.

G7JTT

Post by G7JTT » Sun Apr 12, 2020 5:39 pm

Hi David you can use a RTL dongle to receive DVBS and S2 take a look here

https://forum.amsat-dl.org/index.php?th ... modulator/

Please note though it's not the most user friendly interface but works well one you get the hang of it, but it will never replace a Minitiouner.

Good luck, stay safe John G7JTT

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Mon Apr 13, 2020 7:15 am

There's also SDRAngel (you WILL need to find a Youtube how-to for this SW!!) that will do DVBS and LeanDVB on a Portsdown/RPi that works well, DVBS only.
Gareth G4XAT

keng8vdp

Post by keng8vdp » Sun Jun 28, 2020 9:41 am

m0riu wrote:
Sun Apr 12, 2020 4:51 pm
GB3YT is my local repeater. I was hoping to be able to recieve it with an RTL SDR dongle. These are sold to recieve DTV via an antenna on a PC. They are widely used as recieve only SDR's with SDR#, but are designed for TV. They have a frequency range of 30MHz-2GHz.
Just want to use it as a way to start.
PS i only live 4 miles from the repeater and have line of sight.
I have a FREE satellite receiver if you want it. I can set it up for you on YT. ( Ive set many up on YT already )
Unfortunatly I cannot receive it from home at all M1 j36 Barnsley. Not far from you

If you want a receiver just let me know. QTHr or via PM on this forum. Or shout up on 144.750 Mondays after 7:30pm.

Best regards Ken

Return to “Getting Started?”