dvb-s settop box

Click here to learn more about Amateur TV and the BATC
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
eden

dvb-s settop box

Post by eden » Sun Oct 14, 2018 4:03 pm

are the dvb-s set top box any good for atv, if so which one is best please. and is there anyone near grays Essex with atv.
len m1dpe

G4GHD

Re: dvb-s settop box

Post by G4GHD » Fri Oct 26, 2018 12:49 pm

Some satellite TV cards (for PC/Linux use) may be suitable, take a look at the TBS range for example.

I'm not far away in Canvey Island, hope to have a mesh antenna for 5.6GHz up on the house before too long and hopefully do some portable operation in the area.

2W0ODS

Post by 2W0ODS » Sat Oct 27, 2018 9:26 pm

DVB-S is Only suitable D-ATV not (Analogue) ATV
Most won't do a low enough symbol rate, as stated some TBS Cards/USB might go lower but that depends on the software. I just got rid of my TBS 5520SE as it was flaky, can't remember how low it went though.

Wolfie G8VAT

Post by Wolfie G8VAT » Sun Oct 28, 2018 9:09 pm

There are many Satellite STBs where the symbol rate can be set low enough for ATV, the Comag range especially seem to be mostly good enough.

Quite a few ATVers use Comag receivers, and you can buy a whole mobile (caravan) setup in a suitcase for around £30.

Comag Satellite receivers.

Or the Satlink Satellite Finder.

Satlink Satfinder.

For best results you should add a pre amp in the Antenna feed.

:
Dah-di-dah
:
Graham G8VAT

Return to “Getting Started?”