RF Cable

Click here to learn more about Amateur TV and the BATC
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
MathsBloke

RF Cable

Post by MathsBloke » Fri Sep 15, 2017 8:38 pm

I'm just starting out in Amateur TV and would appreciate some pointers on the following:-

1. What type of RF cable would you recommend?
2. Can you recommend a supplier (UK)?
3. Am I right in thinking that SMA connectors are the best for these frequencies?

Many thanks for any help.

Regards
Bob G6TDR

G3GJA

Re: RF Cable

Post by G3GJA » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:30 pm

1. What type of RF cable would you recommend?
Depends on length needed, frequency and the depth of your pocket :D

A long run's losses need to be kept to a minimum so I would use Westflex 103 or better for 70cm and lower frequencies as it can found at a reasonable price in 100m drums. W103 can also be used at 23cm for short runs of less than 10m. There are more expensive cables such as the Ecoflex https://www.thedxshop.com/ecoflex.html and Messi & Paloni range https://www.hamradio.co.uk/accessories- ... -pc-28.php that perform better.
3. Am I right in thinking that SMA connectors are the best for these frequencies?
SMA connectors are fine for linking the modular components of the Portsdown system with small diameter cables but for the larger diameter antenna feeder coaxial cables you will need the special N connectors available from the same sources as the cable. I have used crimp versions of SMA connectors for 10mm diameter cables but it didn't result in a reliable or mechanically sound termination.

Clive, G3GJA

MathsBloke

Re: RF Cable

Post by MathsBloke » Sat Sep 16, 2017 3:09 am

Hi Clive,

Thank you for the information, the Westflex sounds like a good compromise for a start. I'll be going to Newark in a couple of weeks so I'll keep any eye out.

Regards
Bob G6TDR

Return to “Getting Started?”