restart

Click here to learn more about Amateur TV and the BATC
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
M0YAA

restart

Post by M0YAA » Sun Jun 11, 2017 9:14 am

:lol: I've posted in numerous places about modifying a tatung earlybird BSB receiver. I found an article in a 1996 CQ-TV(176) written by G8MNY, unfortunately little of what is written, component locations and values etc seems to tally with the board in the receiver. I've come to the conclusion I'm probably wasting my time with it.

I have decided the best course of action would be to "update" the receiver I intend to use so I'd like to ask the greater BATC for recommendations. I'm currently a mature student and working part time, to such a degree my home QTH 2m antenna was a coat hanger until last week, now it's a dipole :lol:
so cost is fairly important. However I currently am building up a tin of £1 coins which will be coming to Nat Hamfest in September so I'd like to go with a shopping list.

My nearest active ATV repeaters to Grimsby, as GB3GG doesn't appear to do anything beyond a stream, appear to be GB3VL in Lincoln and GB3EY in Hull, both 23cms. I'm unlikely to receive VL but anything is possible.

Dave

G8XZD-TV

Re: restart

Post by G8XZD-TV » Sun Jun 11, 2017 10:22 am

Think you'd be better off looking for a newer rx, will probably prove cheaper in the long term.
I would pick up a cheapo digital sat rx, but not a sky one. You can get them quite cheap second hand or someone maybe looking to get rid of one.
Dont forget to fit a dc block on the lnb input to the sat rx or you might end up blowing some fuses.
Have you listened on 750 to see if there is any activity locally - or is there a club nearby you can ask around in?
There are several documents on the batc wiki which you may find useful as a returner to the hobby.

73 Ian.

M0YAA

Re: restart

Post by M0YAA » Sun Jun 11, 2017 4:07 pm

Thanks Ian,

I've had a read through. I'm plodding over the Lincoln Short Wave Club on Wednesday for a natter. See where it takes me.

Return to “Getting Started?”