Back to Basics with Pluto

Click here to learn more about Amateur TV and the BATC
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
Basil

Re: Back to Basics with Pluto

Post by Basil » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:14 pm

I was trying to help as best as I am able, and I have not the slightest intention of pontificating as to the way Windows users prefer to operate, it's pretty damned irrelevant to the problems you have :) I can sense you are frustrated so will allow you to calm yourself ;)

EA7KIR

Post by EA7KIR » Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:44 pm

Basil wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 6:14 pm
I was trying to help as best as I am able, and I have not the slightest intention of pontificating as to the way Windows users prefer to operate, it's pretty damned irrelevant to the problems you have :) I can sense you are frustrated so will allow you to calm yourself ;)
Yes, I am frustrated, but after a year of writing software for two Raspberry Pi servers and a Mac user interface to monitor and control everything over ethernet, I still can't get this Pluto Rev D working to my satisfaction. I ask fundamental question on this forum and AMSAT and never get the answers I need. Many do respond, and some of the advice is, or will eventually be, extremely helpful - but never for my immediate problem. I know it would be much easier to go out and buy a dogs-bollox PC, but this hobby is supposed to encourage experiment and finding new ways of doing things. There really isn't much difference between Windows and macOS at command line level and all the necessary commands to install are available to both. Therefore, it shouldn't concern anyone who is familiar with the procedures, whichever OS I'm using. Most copy what others do, but I wish to get things working differently.

Well, that's got that off my chest, so I'm now feeling much calmer.

I'll bring this Pluto to CAT22 if I'm still fooling around by then, but thank you for trying to help and I'm sorry I've upset you.
Michael EA7KIR

Basil

Post by Basil » Thu Jul 07, 2022 7:02 pm

Oh, good God no, I am not upset, I could sense your frustration but let's not forget it's just a hobby and sometimes we need to step back and get some perspective. I myself have been up until the early hours furtling about with amateur radio things that, at the end of the day aren't going to change my life. That's what real problems come along for, to put perceived ones in their place :)

I am a glorified mechanic, so this DATV stuff is a steep learning curve, but that's what keeps the little grey cells active at my age. I ask questions that to an electronics or software engineer will appear naive, so no doubt some readers will chortle at them, but we all start somewhere and I find this forum generally very accommodating and helpful.

When I feel I am asking a daft question I just think, OK, sod it, if I gave this guy a V10 Judd F1 engine in bits, in boxes, how long would it take HIM to achieve a running engine? It's horses for courses and I think most members appreciate this. I am sure you will be up and running on the MAC soon, I have never used one, and I am pretty much a raw beginner with amateur TV generally, I'm old and curmudgeonly, but I hope my input has been of some small use to you.

g0mjw

Post by g0mjw » Thu Jul 07, 2022 8:41 pm

EA7KIR wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:50 pm
Basil wrote:
Thu Jul 07, 2022 5:41 pm
But why don't you get it all running on the OS it was really designed to run on first, to prove there are no other issues?
Because AD claim it can be used on Window, Linux and macOS.

Please tell me why Windows users use Putty when they easily and ssh in the Command line?
I use Kitty, it is a good app, I could just use ssh from the command line but it is easier to use putty/kitty. There is surely a mac version but like linux you might just as well use the terminal.

It shouldn't make any difference what OS the Pluto is plugged in to as long as the drivers are there, but if not, fret not because you can always use ethernet with an appropriate OTG ethernet adapter.

The firmware update process is either simple, by copying the firmware to the ram drive the Pluto sets up when plugged in via USB, or a little less simple via DFU, see here https://plutosdr.org/pluto-m2k-firmware-updates/

Mike

EA7KIR

Post by EA7KIR » Wed Jul 13, 2022 9:46 am

I've yet to learn what all the numbers mean, but I'm curious to know if what I'm seeing is anywhere near optimum?
-
Screenshot 2022-07-13 at 00.52.53.png
Screenshot 2022-07-13 at 00.52.53.png (476.33 KiB) Viewed 9592 times
Michael EA7KIR

Return to “Getting Started?”