Pluto Blues

Click here to learn more about Amateur TV and the BATC
Forum rules
This forum is run by the BATC (British Amateur Television Club), it is service made freely available to all interested parties, please do not abuse this privilege.

Thank you
radiogareth

Re: Pluto Blues

Post by radiogareth » Mon May 16, 2022 9:42 am

The LNB output is around 738-740MHz for QO-100 so its easy to find with SDR# and a RTL dongle or if you prefer a Tiny SA (good up to about 900MHz I think).
Gareth

EA7KIR

Post by EA7KIR » Mon May 16, 2022 9:49 am

Thank you Gareth, but I'm looking for something that can be hand held. That's why I asking about the RF Explorer.
Michael EA7KIR

radiogareth

Post by radiogareth » Mon May 16, 2022 11:12 am

OK, you won't get cheaper or easier than this then : https://sdrtouch.com/
Its a bit strange to enter the frequency, but once you have worked it out, its easy to 'see'.
Good luck
Gareth

g4eml

Post by g4eml » Mon May 16, 2022 11:17 am

I have the RF explorer spectrum analyser and also the signal generator. Both work reasonably well but are very expensive for what they are. I use the signal generator quite a bit but the spectrum analyser is now rarely used. The display is very small and the resolution very limited.

I have just connected the analyser to my dish and can confirm that it can be adjusted to show the signals from QO-100. However the measurements appear to be very noisy and the display produced is far from steady. I would not think it would be very useful for dish alignment. It would be almost impossible to peak the signal when it is already randomly varying by several dB due to the measurement noise. Even though here is an averaging option in the menus it doesn’t improve things by much.

Gareth’s suggestion is probably a better solution.

Colin G4EML

Return to “Getting Started?”